Dolby TrueHD/Atmos EAC3 and Plex

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
bbuice

Dolby TrueHD/Atmos EAC3 and Plex

Post by bbuice »

I have just begun working with Dolby Atmos content. When I use Makemkv to rip the disc I get a TrueHD 7.1 audio track but Plex does not see it as Atmos. I downloaded a few tet files yesterday and some of them have a TrueHD audio track and one called EAC3 5.1. When I select this track it plays Atmos content. How would I get and/or create this EAC3 track containing Atmos content? Sorry if I am not on the proper forum but I really didn't know where else to start. Thanks for your help.

Benny
oddeyeball

Re: Dolby TrueHD/Atmos EAC3 and Plex

Post by oddeyeball »

From what I can tell from my research is that 7.1 TrueHD track is the Atmos Track because it has backwards compatibility to use TrueHD for when which ever player you use doesn't support it. The EAC3 5.1 part of the track I believe is the extension to the format or something, but don't take my word for it as I'm still figuring it out myself. Plex might have issues with playing the Atmos stuff so it defaults to TrueHD 7.1. Have you tried putting the mkv file on a flash drive and seeing if your TV can play the file directly without Plex and pass the Atmos audio to the receiver?

For how to make the EAC3 track it's own thing try using MKVTools software to select that EAC3 track and split it off to it's own track.

I just picked up a receiver that supports Dolby Atmos and will start messing with it today to see how to get this to work so I'll provide an update later today. From what I've gathered from my research so far is some players might recognize it and most don't, but upgrading the firmware on your TV, receiver or whatever player you using might help.
oddeyeball

Re: Dolby TrueHD/Atmos EAC3 and Plex

Post by oddeyeball »

After messing with it for a couple days, it seems it comes down to the player itself. Direct playback, my TV and Blu-ray player cannot direct stream with MKV file the Atmos track to my receiver. Using Plex on my TV, it will play the MKV movie just fine but the Atmos track is played/transcoded as TrueHD 7.1 . I can't force Dolby Atmos like I could with the blu-ray disc. I've read that you can use Kodi and install some plugins to get it to work so you can try that if you wish.