Does the Amd Ryzen processor play 4K UHD?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
pilgrimage

Does the Amd Ryzen processor play 4K UHD?

Post by pilgrimage »

Hello My Computer features;
AMD Ryzen 5 Bazooka v2 2600x Msi B450 32GB RAM RTX 2060 Graphics Card.
Can I play only 4K UHD Bluray movies under these conditions?

As far as I've researched, the LG WH14NS40 writes that the UHD Friendly Internal reader will read the 4K UHD smoothly when I throw the corresponding firmware. Is this information correct? Can we also play 4K UHD on AMD without intel? Some forums say I can play Any DVD HD on AMD Ryzen. I do not want to copy to the computer, I want to play directly to the drive team. I'm new to this, if experienced friends can direct me, I'd appreciate it.

If the features of my machine are suitable for playback in 4K UHD, I would like to buy the product on the link to make the corresponding firmware.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V ... 0DER&psc=1

Thankyou for support.
Woodstock

Re: Does the Amd Ryzen processor play 4K UHD?

Post by Woodstock »

Direct (real time) playback of UHD content is dependent on several things.

Is the drive fast enough? Well, if it's UHD-certified, it should be.
Is the CPU/graphics card fast enough to both decrypt and decode the h.265 video?
Is the display capable of handling the data rate?

Ripping UHD (reading data, decrypting it, writing it to local storage) doesn't need the speed, although it's nice. With MakeMKV and a reasonable CPU, the limit will be the drive's read speed and your storage write speed.

Once it's ripped, if you have graphics card with h.265 decoding and a display that can handle the refresh rate, you should be fine.

Ryzens are WAY faster than necessary.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rui-no-onna

Re: Does the Amd Ryzen processor play 4K UHD?

Post by rui-no-onna »

As mentioned, your build is more than fast enough to handle the actual decode/playback part. It's just DRM that's an issue.

Official 4K UHD Blu-ray playback requires Intel CPU (minimum Kaby Lake, I think?) because official playback software requires certain Intel only CPU extensions (SGX).

However, you can play 4K UHD Blu-ray discs directly using VLC by copying certain MakeMKV DLLs to the VLC folder. I think one of them was named libaacs or something. Just search the forums.