Strange UHD playback issue

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
joehindley103

Strange UHD playback issue

Post by joehindley103 »

Confusing one for me this one.

All my uhd rips work great apart from two. Batman returns and thor ragnarok.

Both rip perfectly fine but upon playback the picture cuts out every 10 minutes or so, always at the exact same point and sound continues to play fine in the background. The picture pixelates and goes into the top corner of the screen into a green pixelated block. It's like a copywrite type protection??

After 10mins or so it returns to normal. Then this happens again around 10 mins later, throughout the film

This happens on multiple playback devices so it's the file itself??

I use an Asus drive to copy and all other 4k rips play great?

Any ideas?

Tks so much
joehindley103

Re: Strange UHD playback issue

Post by joehindley103 »

Btw I ripped both to an mkv container and have used both plex and kodi to play the file back.

Same issue on both..

Really strange.
joehindley103

Post by joehindley103 »

All, my apologise I've sorted this.

Using a different hardware device (my nvidia shield) and plex the playback works fine.

For some reason the issue is just with plex/kodi on my other devices (tv and laptop)

There are obviously no issues with the mkv file created by makemkv.

Tks all.
awdspyder

Post by awdspyder »

Try changing the audio format to the core track (i.e. 5.1 instead of 7.1). I found this would happen on UHD playback on players where the audio track was not fully supported. Emby is serving up the files in my case, but similar circumstances - on a 4k Roku TV with a 2.1 soundbar and on my LG OLED built-in Emby app (using ARC) this would happen unless I dumbed-down the audio track. The Shield TV Pro plays the 7.1 audio to my Denon AVR just fine, as expected.