Descriptions of what's happening during the movie

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
chicago25624

Descriptions of what's happening during the movie

Post by chicago25624 »

When I playback Guardians of the Galaxy, I some guy describing the scene. Peter sitting in the hospital and I hear, "A young boy sits alone the hospital" He looks forlorn ed. His grandfather walks in."

I cannot see where to turn it off

What am I doing wrong?
Woodstock

Re: Descriptions of what's happening during the movie

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV's default selection rules will try to chose the "best" audio available. Unfortunately, sometimes the Descriptive Audio track has more channels than the movie (movie in stereo, DA track in 5.1).

When this happens, you need to manually select the correct track to rip, OR adjust the default rule to rip all audio tracks.

More information on selecting tracks can be found in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16405
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Also a possibility is, that two tracks are selected and ripped, but the order is wrong or the default flag is set for the wrong track. This can be corrected with "MKVToolNIX GUI" with a.) the "Header Editor" to correct flag settings, or b.) with remuxxing by changing the sequence order of the tracks (don't forget the flag settings!).
Good Luck :)

Post by dsr83 »

I am also having this problem, and the link you provided jumps to "Changing names with Expert mode enabled" which doesn't seem to be the right solution, but I'm probably just not understanding. Would you be so kind as to walk us through exactly how to select the correct audio track? I seem to only get the director's commentary or silence, no matter what audio box I check. Thank you!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The link I sent covers more than just changing names - it also shows how to expand the title to allow selecting (audio and subtitle) tracks that MakeMKV's automatic selection might skip.

Right now, I do not have a disk handy that has Descriptive Audio on it, so I can't post a screen shot of what it looks like.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

dsr83 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36 pm
I seem to only get the director's commentary or silence, no matter what audio box I check.
An other problem can be, that your equipment cannot play the main track (DTS on Smart TV ??), because the format/codec is not supported. In this case, the track is ignored and the next track is used.

Post a MediaInfo output listing which shows all tracks inside the MKV file and give us some infos how the mkv is played.
Good Luck :)

Post by dsr83 »

I have three choices when I expand the title audio: DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1 English, DTS Surround 5.1 English, and DD Stereo English. Selecting either of the first two yields only silence, while the Stereo is the director's commentary. When they are all selected, I get the commentary of course, so you're probably right that it is a codec issue. Is there something I can do about that?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That would indicate that your playback program/device doesn't decode DTS. The DTS-HD MA track is the primary, MakeMKV makes a copy of the lossy part of it as DTS, but your player doesn't like either, and picks option 3.

I run everything through handbrake after ripping, so I would have handbrake convert the DTS to an AC3 5.1, and also copy the DTS-HD MA through as a second track, for when I have DTS-capable hardware. AC3 is playable on most anything video-related, including most "smart" TVs and Bluray players.

MakeMKV can change audio to AAC-Stereo (not 5.1). If you have Expert mode enabled, you can select the AAC-Stereo profile to get access to that. I've never used it, because handbrake is much more capable. Proper tool for the job sort of thing.
dsr83

Post by dsr83 »

Yup, handbrake took care of the problem! Thanks for the help.