Blu-ray rips don't stream using PS3mediaserver (PS3)

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
colossus71

Blu-ray rips don't stream using PS3mediaserver (PS3)

Post by colossus71 »

So here's what I've got:

None of the rips of Blu-rays I've done using MakeMKV will stream using PS3mediaserver to my PS3. I've found similar threads on the forum suggesting that certain audio tracks will not stream (i.e. DTS HD) and require conversion to AC3 using other means. I've ripped three blu-rays now with only the video stream (no audio at all), and none of them will play on the PS3. I get the usual 'Data not supported' error message. They play fine on the PC.

Subsequently, rips using DVDFab seem to work [stream] just fine.

Just wondering if anyone else had run into this same issue...?

PS3mediaserver = v1.20.412
MakeMKV = 1.6.2
skittle

Re: Blu-ray rips don't stream using PS3mediaserver (PS3)

Post by skittle »

PS3 does not support mkv natively, have you made sure to turn on the transcoding to transportstream with tsmuxer in the PMS settings?
colossus71

Post by colossus71 »

skittle,

Yes, I have the transcoding enabled....
skittle

Post by skittle »

Well, its probabl a PMS issue, and you *should* be posting about the issue there...

In the meantime though, you can try manually transcoding with eac3to or mkv2vob
colossus71

Post by colossus71 »

I'm not convinced it's entirely a PMS issue. At least not altogether, since mkv's created with DVDFab stream just fine. There's obviously a difference in how the MakeMKV and DVDFab creates the final output. I've looked at two mkv's created with each in MediaInfo and both appear to be identical with regards to both the video and audio stream.
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

MKV is mostly not supported by any mediaserver...
They say they support it... but only in few special case... (example: most of them won't work if you have more than 1 audiotrack).

I don't know/use PS3mediaserver so I'm not sure what program correctly support it.
I see many wierd thing with DVDFab. I recommend you to try another program.
Many programs are available on the web, you could check what people recommend on your equipment (you probably try to play it on your ps3).
Try on a small 1080p mkv file (under 1gb) with those program.
They will probably make .mp4 or .mpg file.
If you can't play it on your mediacenter, try another program.

If this could help you, I currently use Handbrake (I'm not sure if he support PS3) with Windows 7 Media Center.
I could easily stream an mp4 (reencoded for the mkv) 1080p on my tv.

Just be sure:
-You have only 1 audiotrack in your final file.
-File extention are .MP4 or .MPG.
-Just try it on your pc after the conversion, if you can't play it... something aren't good.
-Be sure to REENCODE (could take up to 2-4 days) and not just transcode. (I see some Bluray in non-standard H.264 format. The PC could read them but when I try to stream them,this just doesn't work in streaming.)
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
captain

Post by captain »

I'm having trouble playing a bunch of files on my PS3 too. It sees them, but as soon as I try to play 90% of them the filename turns into "corrupted data" or "unsupported data" (or something along those wordings). It is absurdly arcane just getting video files to play on MediaCenter-type devices! I love that MakeMKV will rip my Blu-rays and DVDs so I don't have to mess with discs and 15min of advertising just to watch a movie, but it's to the point that the time wasted in transcoding (and re-transcoding for each new device - I'm considering going to AppleTV2 since PS3 is braindead and AppleTV only does 480p reliably) is onerous beyond the damn advertising.

So, any help getting the extracted MKV files to play on a PS3 would be appreciated here, especially if it can be done on the fly, i.e. without hours of transcoding for each file.

I'm on OSX if it matters. Maybe the solution is to build a linux box running VLC and just play the mkv files off the server....? Is PS3 really that stupid that it can't do just that?

edit: oh !@#$!! It looks like AppleTV2 only goes to 720p! How lame! :-P So, PS3 *should* play these mkv files at 1080p... how do we make it do so?
radarjon

Post by radarjon »

I have noticed this as well. Have you found a fix yet? I have not done a ton of blu-rays, but I noticed the issue right after I was forced to update to the makemkv_v1.6.4 for osx. After that I have not been able to get a blu-ray to encode to stream to the PS3. I can use boxee on my mac and it can play it. I have also tried the newest v1.6.5 version as well and I get the same results.
radarjon

Post by radarjon »

I did a bunch of testing last night and in all of my testing I came to the realization that something with the way the file is made makes it not compatible with the PS3 Media Server v1.20.409. I downloaded an older version v1.10.5 and all of the MKV's streamed to the PS3 without any issues. I hope this helps.
captain

Post by captain »

I just read something about mkv header compression causing problems. Here, I think: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... mkv#p43116

I wonder if makemkv is compressing headers and ps3mediaserver/ps3 can't deal with that. Is there a way to set makemkv to not compress headers? The mkvtools app seems to be out of development and buggy, so I'd rather not go down that road if makemkv can solve this out of the box.