4K UHD - MKV - AppleTV 4K - Infuse 6 pro = my results

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
anothermkvuser

4K UHD - MKV - AppleTV 4K - Infuse 6 pro = my results

Post by anothermkvuser »

Wanted to share the setup and my results:

MakeMKV = 1.15
MKVToolNix GUI v44.0.4 (Domino)(64bit)
LGWH16NS40 = FW 1.02 (thanks for the FORUMS help on this)
Infuse 6 Pro (latest) (which has support of Atmos https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/a ... ions-tvOS-)
Apple TV 4k (TVOS 13.4) Audio settings are Set to = AUDIO/BEST Available. Which means Audio will be sent as uncompressed, multi-channel LPCM (up to 7.1 channels and 24-bit)

UHD4k = 85GB mkv (which included all audio options, subtitles, all of it.)

Opening the MKV in MKVToolNix —
I can see:
TrueHD Atmos codec, properties say 8 channels, 24bits ber sample and is the Default Track

along with the other audio tracks:
AC-3
DTS-HD Master Audio
DTS
AC-3 (English 5.1)
AC-3 (French 5.1)
AC-3 (Spanish 5.1)
Playing off Wired gigabit network, SMB to Apple TV 4k with Infuse 6Pro = playes fine, but audio on Onkyo RZ630 displays TRUEHD 7.1, and not Atmos.

It would seam the audio is there per the mkv details viewed using MKVToolNix. Not sure if Infuse 6 Pro's Atmos implementation needs the file in a different format?

Just wanted to share a summary of what I did in case it was helpful.
anothermkvuser

Re: 4K UHD - MKV - AppleTV 4K - Infuse 6 pro = my results

Post by anothermkvuser »

Wanted to share: Got an email back from Infuse 6 Developer (FIRECORE). Very prompt I might add.

<Begin email>
Hi -

Currently, the Apple TV has limited support for Atmos content, and Infuse (6.3 and later) will support Atmos when using E-AC3 audio tracks, and a few sample files can be downloaded at https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby ... ilers.html Unfortunately, Atmos with TrueHD audio tracks are not currently supported.

More info on the audio options available in Infuse can be found here.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/a ... /217735707

Also, we're working to encourage Apple to add more versatile options for Atmos and other audio codecs. If you have a moment to send them a quick message, you can let them know this feature is important to you as well.

More info on how to send feedback/suggestions to Apple (along with sample text you can include in your message) can be found here.

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/20983
<End of email>

Hopefully this is helpful to others.
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

anothermkvuser wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:52 am
Wanted to share the setup and my results:

MakeMKV = 1.15
MKVToolNix GUI v44.0.4 (Domino)(64bit)
LGWH16NS40 = FW 1.02 (thanks for the FORUMS help on this)
Infuse 6 Pro (latest) (which has support of Atmos https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/a ... ions-tvOS-)
Apple TV 4k (TVOS 13.4) Audio settings are Set to = AUDIO/BEST Available. Which means Audio will be sent as uncompressed, multi-channel LPCM (up to 7.1 channels and 24-bit)

UHD4k = 85GB mkv (which included all audio options, subtitles, all of it.)

Opening the MKV in MKVToolNix —
I can see:
TrueHD Atmos codec, properties say 8 channels, 24bits ber sample and is the Default Track

along with the other audio tracks:
AC-3
DTS-HD Master Audio
DTS
AC-3 (English 5.1)
AC-3 (French 5.1)
AC-3 (Spanish 5.1)
Playing off Wired gigabit network, SMB to Apple TV 4k with Infuse 6Pro = playes fine, but audio on Onkyo RZ630 displays TRUEHD 7.1, and not Atmos.

It would seam the audio is there per the mkv details viewed using MKVToolNix. Not sure if Infuse 6 Pro's Atmos implementation needs the file in a different format?

Just wanted to share a summary of what I did in case it was helpful.
UPDATE: 5. 15. 2020

I wanted to share that I switched over from SMB Network protocol to FTP over LAN. Infuse Program lets you goto a file/movie that you have mapped to and then run a SPEED TEST over your LAN.
  • Using the SMB Protocol which support the great Library and Artwork, playlists, etc that makes Infuse a great option, would only get 240-270 Mb (Megabit, NOT MB megabyte)
  • I have a Cat6e Gigabit wired connection and I noticed on a 4k MKV, the movie paused twice during normal play.
So I setup FTP services only on the LAN (not accessible outside of LAN) so I chose to use FTP and NOT SFTP.

Once I had that on my Router, I went to Infuse and LEFT the SMB share saved and ADDED the same share, but now using the FTP protocol. So I could compare speed tests, using the different protocols mapped to the same drive on the LAN.
  • That same file now get 950 Mb (Megabit) and 4k not only played without issue, it allows for very usable scrubbing of the playhead back and forth, previews pop up fast.
  • I then removed the SMB share from Infuse and am just using the FTP mapped drive.
So Infuse with FTP on your LAN = most efficient and makes playing MKV directly without issue.

ONLY REMAINING ISSUES = Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos support. From my understanding this is ONLY DUE to Apple's iOS config at this time. Maybe the new Apple tv and iOS 14 will resolve this.

Hope this is useful.
mattyj2001

Post by mattyj2001 »

Very useful!

I've been useing NFS and had an even slower connection, around 200 Mbps. That was fine for regular playback, even with 4k streams over a wired LAN, but any seeking never worked properly. I'm a professional IT guy but sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees and I never thought to monkey with other protocols. I can't even tell you why I went with NFS, I probably had other shares set up and just left it at that.

Just switched to FTP and am getting the same 900+ Mbps, seeking and chapter skip are working great!

I'm hoping, too, that Apple decides to support ATMOS in a TRUEHD container, which is really the root of the problem. There's no free/easy way to convert a TRUEHD track to EAC3, but there are expensive/difficult ways!
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

mattyj2001 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 am
Very useful!

I've been useing NFS and had an even slower connection, around 200 Mbps. That was fine for regular playback, even with 4k streams over a wired LAN, but any seeking never worked properly. I'm a professional IT guy but sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees and I never thought to monkey with other protocols. I can't even tell you why I went with NFS, I probably had other shares set up and just left it at that.

Just switched to FTP and am getting the same 900+ Mbps, seeking and chapter skip are working great!

I'm hoping, too, that Apple decides to support ATMOS in a TRUEHD container, which is really the root of the problem. There's no free/easy way to convert a TRUEHD track to EAC3, but there are expensive/difficult ways!
Hey Mattyj2001,

Glad this was useful to you. Agreed 100% sometimes its hard to the see the forest through the trees. Apple is rumored to have a new box ready, guessing announced either in June at Dev conference or in Sept. Hoping the new hardware supports ATMOS in a TRUEHD container and other layers used in UHD Discs for Dolby Vision playback. The MKV containers seems the right container moving forward as a technology.