MakeMKV and Gaming

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
ZeroSubset

MakeMKV and Gaming

Post by ZeroSubset »

Hi everyone,

First let me say I am loving the software and its simplicity.

Issue:
I currently and using two optical drives, LG and Buffalo. The problem I am running into is while the discs are ripping I launch a game (League of Legends) and the client does not load while MKV is open and working. The speed drops very low and the remaining time increases. As soon as I stop the drive or remove the disk the game loads as intended. Once the game launches, I can restart the drive and continue. What in Make MKV would stop the game from launching? Please note while playing a movie in the drive there is no impact on the game.

Computer:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core
64 GB Ram
64 bit Windows

League: Up to date and been reinstalled multiple times V10.9

MakeMVK: 1.15.1

Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV and Gaming

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV uses a lot of disk/network bandwidth. It will also allocate (usually) .25-.5 gigabyte of RAM per instance for write buffering, to allow for slow disk writes.

That said, I can run two instances of MakeMKV on a relatively slow (by today's standards) i5 processor, and run a copy of handbrake encoding MKV files, without "stopping" response on that machine. I don't try to run CPU-intensive games, however; handbrake alone can run the CPU up to 100% easily. This is with all reads/writes going to a NAS, rather than local disks.

What happens if you load the game first, THEN start MakeMKV? It may just be that the game requires a lot of disk reads to initialize, and the local disk controller is overwhelmed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ZeroSubset

Post by ZeroSubset »

Loading the game first works, it's just annoying to have to wait for each disc to finish its rip before starting the next game. Thanks for the reply
RangerEnn

Post by RangerEnn »

I have been able to reproduce this problem. Its funny because by pure chance, I got Windows and MakeMKV installed in C:, League of Legends in D: and MakeMKV is remuxing to E, all of them SSDs, so it gets the IOPS suspicion out of the equation. It looks like a software error. The game sometimes crashes, dumping its memory to a file, and sometimes just hangs. No other game has behaved like this while remuxing.

MakeMKV 1.17.6
Windows 11 23H2, 22631.3374
Ryzen 5800X on AM4 X470 Motherboard, Chipset drivers 6.02.07.2300
32GB RAM
RTX 4070 Ti, Nvidia drivers 552.12, Geforce Experience 3.27.0.120
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

RangerEnn wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:23 pm
I have been able to reproduce this problem. Its funny because by pure chance, I got Windows and MakeMKV installed in C:, League of Legends in D: and MakeMKV is remuxing to E, all of them SSDs, so it gets the IOPS suspicion out of the equation. It looks like a software error. The game sometimes crashes, dumping its memory to a file, and sometimes just hangs. No other game has behaved like this while remuxing.

MakeMKV 1.17.6
Windows 11 23H2, 22631.3374
Ryzen 5800X on AM4 X470 Motherboard, Chipset drivers 6.02.07.2300
32GB RAM
RTX 4070 Ti, Nvidia drivers 552.12, Geforce Experience 3.27.0.120
i dont think its caused by the ssd i think its caused by the games pining the optical drive to check whats on there and makemkv is already using it causing it to hang
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com