VLC plays menus from disc but not backup dir.

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Mahagonnybill

VLC plays menus from disc but not backup dir.

Post by Mahagonnybill »

I have been archiving my BD collection for a NAS based media server. I like having the disc menus available and have been working with MakeMKV's backup function. Using VLC for playback I have found that some discs will play fine with menus but when I make a decrypted backup of the disc, VLC can not open the menu.

I am now wondering if I am using the backup function correctly. Has anyone else been able to open BD menus with VLC on both the disc and a backup folder?
crater

Re: VLC plays menus from disc but not backup dir.

Post by crater »

You should be able to play the backup in VLC with menus with a command like this:

Code: Select all

vlc "bluray:///F:\Videos\backup\Movie"
Mahagonnybill

Re: VLC plays menus from disc but not backup dir.

Post by Mahagonnybill »

When I open the disc from the command line I get the following and the menu plays:

> vlc bluray:///PATH/TO/DEVICE
VLC media player 3.0.11 Vetinari (revision 3.0.11-0-gdc0c5ced72)
keydbcfg.c:680: No valid AACS configuration files found
bdj.c:861: Detected Java 9 or later JVM - support is experimental !
Libbluray.java:org.videolan.Libbluray$1.getProperty:67: getProperty(user.dir): no context ! java.base/java.lang.System.getProperty(System.java:816)
java.base/sun.security.action.GetPropertyAction.run(GetPropertyAction.java:87)
java.base/sun.security.action.GetPropertyAction.run(GetPropertyAction.java:53)
java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
java.base/sun.security.action.GetPropertyAction.privilegedGetProperty(GetPropertyAction.java:107)
java.base/java.io.FilePermission.<clinit>(FilePermission.java:208)
java.base/java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(SecurityManager.java:661)
java.base/java.io.File.isDirectory(File.java:847)
java.base/org.videolan.CacheDir.getCacheRoot(CacheDir.java:78)
java.base/org.videolan.CacheDir.create(CacheDir.java:110)
java.base/org.videolan.VFSCache.init(VFSCache.java:56)
java.base/org.videolan.VFSCache.createInstance(VFSCache.java:39)
java.base/org.videolan.BDJLoader.loadN(BDJLoader.java:173)
java.base/org.videolan.BDJLoader.access$200(BDJLoader.java:46)
java.base/org.videolan.BDJLoader$BDJLoaderAction.doAction(BDJLoader.java:363)
java.base/org.videolan.BDJAction.process(BDJAction.java:59)
java.base/org.videolan.BDJActionQueue.run(BDJActionQueue.java:86)
java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
libva info: VA-API version 1.4.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_4
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

When I open the backup from the command line I get the following and the menu fails to play:
> vlc bluray:///PATH/TO/BACKUP
VLC media player 3.0.11 Vetinari (revision 3.0.11-0-gdc0c5ced72)
bdj.c:861: Detected Java 9 or later JVM - support is experimental !
Exception in thread "main" PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/objectweb/asm/commons/SimpleRemapper
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/org.videolan.BDJClassFileTransformer.rename(BDJClassFileTransformer.java:64)
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/org.videolan.mmbd.Adapter.<init>(Adapter.java:83)
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:490)
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:584)
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/org.videolan.Libbluray.loadAdapter(Libbluray.java:98)
PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: at java.base/org.videolan.Libbluray.init(Libbluray.java:353)
bdj.c:733: Failed to initialize BD-J (uncaught exception)
GUIManager:0: ERROR: getInstance(): no instance !
bluray.c3202: Can't play BD-J title 65535

It looks like VLC is loading the required Java libraries when I load the disc, but getting a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError when I load the backup.