Library file structure help

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Franky3

Library file structure help

Post by Franky3 »

I have started ripping my collection but don’t totally understand how to handle duplicate folder titles and/or disc types.

I will be using a Zappiti player for most playback and it uses a library file structure similar to Kodi with “Movies” and “TV Shows’ with folders underneath for each title and/or .ISO files. Seems relatively straight forward.

What I don’t get is how to handle cases where folders with an identical file names are created for a BluRay and a 4K version of the same title. How should folders be named in that case? It seems like many 4K discs just have the main movie on it and the extras are on the BluRay version so I’m trying to get both.

Should I create a top level structure like 4K/Movies, BR/Movies, DVD/Movies or something else?
Woodstock

Re: Library file structure help

Post by Woodstock »

Is there a particular reason to keep the different versions in separate directories? I can think of a few, but... For you, do they outweigh the issue of, say, searching your 4K directories looking for "XYZZY, The Animation", only to discover that you only have it in "regular" BD format, then have to navigate back through to the BD directory tree?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Franky3

Post by Franky3 »

I don’t have any specific reason other than I thought it might be useful to know what format a particular title is in. Now that I have actually started ripping titles the idea of directories by format type is less appealing than I thought.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I use file names to separate them. For example, the DVD version may just be the normal title, but the BD version has HD added.

For episodic stuff, I use "Enn" for DVD, "HDnn" for BD. The difference groups all the DVD/BD stuff together.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging