Same episodes, different duration

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
arrbee99

Same episodes, different duration

Post by arrbee99 »

Don't know whether I should ask in this forum, but you chaps know a thing or two about videos , so -

I ripped Inspector Lewis DVD using MakeMKV (I think, it was a while ago), and now I'm ripping the bluray versions and it seems the bluray versions are longer than the DVDs. Looking at some of the episodes that are about 1h32m for BR, they're about 1h28m for DVD, so that ratio is about 1.05:1. Media Info says the DVDs are 25fps and the BRs are 24fps and the ratio for those is, amazingly about 1.05:1.

So - coincidence or not ? I always assumed the frame rate makes zero difference to episode length, so is there something else going on here?

The DVDs are UK pal and the BRs are US NTSC, is that the answer (and if so, why) ?
Woodstock

Re: Same episodes, different duration

Post by Woodstock »

Lots of possibilities.

There is, of course, the chance that they BD episodes have been "enhanced" with deleted scenes, but rarely would all episodes grow by the same amount. An example is Star Trek The Next Generation, where the episode "Measure of a Man" is several minutes longer on the BD version than the original DVDs.

There is also a factor a lot of PAL disks use 24fps video played at 25fps, and the audio adjusted to not sound like it's playing fast. The original 24fps of the BD would be stretched out compared to the PAL video. It is NOT a coincidence.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
arrbee99

Re: Same episodes, different duration

Post by arrbee99 »

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Most likely the Pal disc played speeded up then.