Proper way to convert existing files to MKV

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
barrygordon

Proper way to convert existing files to MKV

Post by barrygordon »

BR files:

I have converted all my BR disks to decrypted BR format on my NAS. I converted one disk, Avatar, by giving MakeMKV the file \BDMV\Stream\00000.m2ts. The conversion went smoothly and the reultant file seems to play perfectly (I only sampled the begining). I am new to MakeMKV and read here that to do what I want (did) the proper way is to give MakeMKV either the \BDMV\index.bdmv file or \BDMV\movieobject.bdmv file. Does it make any difference or will each of the three files be properly converted. Is there any advantage to one over the other?

DVD files:
My DVD files were ripped to my NAS in a similar manner. What I have for each converted disk is a folder containing two .IFO files, two .BUP files and a bunch of .VOB files. What is the best way to convert these file sets to a MKV container MakeMKV, MergeMKV, Something else?

Lastly, Where will I find documentation on the MakeMKV command line operation/interface?

Tia, Barry
skittle

Re: Proper way to convert existing files to MKV

Post by skittle »

1) Point it to the index.bdmv, makemkv can parse all the playlists this way.
2) Point it to the ifo
3) http://www.makemkv.com/developers/usage.txt
barrygordon

Post by barrygordon »

Well I am about 1/4 of the way through my DVD collection (523 total movies/TV shows). I wrote a program that does it all automatically using Makemkv in command line mode. I just run it all night and most of the time during the day. It is somewhat tailored to my NAS configuration but I can modify it quite easily. It does both BR and DVD's. It assumes the format is iso Rips. It checks to see that the converted mkv file is about the same size as the original vob files or the m2ts file and if so it deletes all extraneous files and folders from the NAS leaving me with a nice clean system. Full diagnostics are recorded

The program is part of a general utility system that I wrote last month to handle my collection and library issues. I use DVD profiler and when I buy a disk I enter it into the DVD profiler. The only thing missing is fanart, and I prefer to find that myself rather than have a scraper make the choice.

I play back using either a Dune player or XBMC. I experiment a lot!

If someone is trying to do the same thing (Converting all files to MKV) I would be more than willing to assist in tailoring and providing my program. I would need to break it out of the general utility and add some options on file layout. The program is written for windows and I am using it on Win 7. My file layout is a main movie folder, and a folder for each movie named with the movies title. The individual movie folders now contains the mkv file (file name is the movie title), a movie.nfo file (for XBMC) and a fanart.jpg and folder.jpg (fanart and coverart for XBMC). I am looking into adding files for the Dune player, but probably won't as I use my own librarian whioch is very Kalaidescape like. If you want a copy drop me an email. my name is barry and my domain is the-gordons.net.

MakeMKV is a GREAT program.
johnsills1

Post by johnsills1 »

Barrygordon, I am just now getting into the world of ripping bluray's. I am not sure how to do it, could you help me out with makemkv?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
barrygordon

Post by barrygordon »

This might be better handled off line. My name is "barry". I own the domain "the-gordons.net" so my email address should be obvious.

I don't do anything fancy. My goal is to have just the movie, no trailers, No FBI warnings, no ... Just the movie. I tell MakeMKV to skip any file segment that is 10 minutes (600 secs) or less. The Rips start on my player (DUNE) about 7 seconds after I give the Dune the path to the stored MKV file.

1) I do not run anyDVDHD as MakeMKV handles decryption

2) I place the BR DVD in the reader and start MakeMKV

3) I tell MakeMKV to start scanning the disk (click on icon in left pane)

MakeMKV does a full analysis of what is on the disk and presents the reult in a tree structure in the left pane

4) I select (Keep checked) The first of any titles that are the right size (about 2 hours or so in length) and uncheck any others. I believe MakeMKV will set up seperate titles for different views (angles).

5) I select (keep Checked) The audio track I want (english, Highest available codec, and any sub stream in that stream) and uncheck all the others.

6) I leave any forced subtitles checked and uncheck any subtitles that are not forced.

7) I browse in the right pane to the location where I want the output stored, and click on the obvious icon in the right pane to start the process.

I now go do something else as this will take some time 30-60 minutes depending if I am storing on a local HD or directly to my NAS.

When done I run MediaInfo (search the web, it is freeware) To check what the MKV container actually contains. And to be sure I have what I want.

I play a small amount using windows media player to see that it looks okay. The PC I use only has stereo so I do hear audio if there is at least one audio track.

Finally I rename the MKV file from title00.mkv to what I want, and if necessary I move it to the NAS.

Generally I rip to a local HD (much faster as no network traffic), ripping 3-4 disks. That evening I set the machine to move the files to
the NAS while I am asleep

I also run ChapterGrabber on the Disk as it builds what I want for the Chapter file. My Theater System (own code) allows the viewer to pull the chapter file (puts it on the Pronto Pro Remote) and move to any point in the movie that is referenced in the chapter file. The Chapter file is an xml file that consists of time points (to the msec) and associated text strings that can be as simple as "Chapter 1" or as comples as you want them. I believe MediaInfo wil also show you the Chapters of the movie so you can manually build "your" version of the chapter data to use with your player if the player allows you to go to a unique time point in the movie.

The whole process is safe and you can redo it while building up your confidence.

Hope the above helps
anothergene

Post by anothergene »

So, when I run in "robot" mode I get the some of the following output...

Code: Select all

SINFO:3,0,3,0,""
SINFO:3,0,5,0,"V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC"
SINFO:3,0,6,0,"Mpeg4"
SINFO:3,0,7,0,"Mpeg4"
SINFO:3,0,19,0,"1920x1080"
SINFO:3,0,20,0,"16:9"
SINFO:3,0,21,0,"29.97 (30000/1001)"
according to the usage.txt file that should be interpreted as follows....

Code: Select all

Disc, title and stream information
CINFO:id,code,value
TINFO:id,code,value
SINFO:id,code,value

id - attribute id, see AP_ItemAttributeId in apdefs.h
code - message code if attribute value is a constant string
value - attribute value
So given the last line of my output from above, the id is 3, the code is 0 and the value is 21. What about the 0 and the stuff in quotes? I've noticed this with a lot of the different types of output codes. Is there an updated usage.txt?