Plex and forced subtitles (Game of Thrones, Star Wars, etc.)

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Giffdev

Plex and forced subtitles (Game of Thrones, Star Wars, etc.)

Post by Giffdev »

Hey folks,
I've been doing some searches but haven't quite found anything definitive for my needs. I noticed when playing movies like Star Wars 4k or Game of Thrones 4k, that quite often the subtitles for alien languages, dothraki/valerian, etc. are missing by default. For Game of Thrones, if I go into the subtitle options, there are 2 english subtitles - one is full-english subtitles for everything, the other are the "forced" subtitles only to just see the dothraki languages. However, this is inconvenient, as I have to turn the subtitles on for *every* episode that happens to have that in it.

In the Plex account > Audio & Subtitle settings, I have it set to:
Unchecked - automatically select audio and subtitle tracks
SUBTITLES FOR THE DEAF OR HARD-OF-HEARING (SDH) SEARCHES - prefer non SDH subtitles
FORCED SUBTITLE SEARCHES - Prefer forced subtitles

Under Plex Account > Settings > Languages I have it set to:
unchecked - automatically select audio and subtitle tracks
Prefer audio tracks in - English
Subtitle mode - show with foreign audio
Prefer subtitles in - English

So, I think there are 3 main questions:

1. How can I see when using MakeMKV if there is a forced subtitle track, to ensure it's available
2. If there are "forced" subtitles but they aren't labeled as such on the disk, how can I use a tool to set the "forced" flag and resave the mkv files?
3. For instances like Game of Thrones where the forced track clearly exists on applicable episodes, how do I get that to play by default (as it does on the physical disk) when watching in Plex?

Thanks so much in advance
Chetwood

Re: Plex and forced subtitles (Game of Thrones, Star Wars, etc.)

Post by Chetwood »

Have you searched the forums? This has been discussd to death, recently with Game of Thrones subs. This should apply to Plex as well.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch