Separating ripped files into diferent episodes

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
ElAdri1999

Separating ripped files into diferent episodes

Post by ElAdri1999 »

Probably this is a super stupid question:
I have the full series of Lost in BlueRay ripped into a folder, like exact images of the drive, and when i try to extract it i get 4 big video files with 4-5 episodes per file, is there any way to split it automatically with makemkv? so i need to edit it and save as separate files? if so, what tool you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help in advance
dcoke22

Re: Separating ripped files into diferent episodes

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have Lost, so I can't comment specifically, but it is often the case on TV show discs that there's a title for each episode and a title that is all the episodes smashed together. Perhaps you're ripping that giant all-the-episodes title instead of the individual episode titles?
ElAdri1999

Post by ElAdri1999 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:46 am
I don't have Lost, so I can't comment specifically, but it is often the case on TV show discs that there's a title for each episode and a title that is all the episodes smashed together. Perhaps you're ripping that giant all-the-episodes title instead of the individual episode titles?
This is likely what happens, this is how it looks for me, the 9ish GB files are the episodes the rest are menu screens in like 15 different languages

If you have any clue or advice on how to split it its much apreciated, when opening on VLC it shows timestamps with "Episode X" every 8 or so minutes so i dont really know what happens
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I expect if you uncheck every title except the 4 that are the episodes, when you rip, you should end up with 4 separate .mkv files, each about 9ish GB and each being a single episode. If you click the arrow to the left of the title, it should 'open up' the title and let you uncheck various audio tracks and subtitles that aren't interesting to you.
ElAdri1999

Post by ElAdri1999 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:48 pm
I expect if you uncheck every title except the 4 that are the episodes, when you rip, you should end up with 4 separate .mkv files, each about 9ish GB and each being a single episode. If you click the arrow to the left of the title, it should 'open up' the title and let you uncheck various audio tracks and subtitles that aren't interesting to you.
yeah, thats exactly what i did, but i dont know how to separate them into episodes instead of having a 9GB chunk of 5 episodes
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think episodes of Lost are about 45 minutes each. Various TV shows that I have ripped from blu-ray, where the episodes are about that long produce .mkv files in the 9GB to 11GB range for each episode. You seem to have something else than a standard blu-ray disc with a few episodes of a TV show on it.

What do you get if you rip some of the smaller titles? What does MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) tell you about the resulting .mkv file?
ElAdri1999

Post by ElAdri1999 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:48 pm
i ended up just grabbing it from someone that did it right, idk why but it had a lot of like 10-30 sec parts so i missed a lot of small bits of each episode
ElAdri1999

Post by ElAdri1999 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:44 pm
I think episodes of Lost are about 45 minutes each. Various TV shows that I have ripped from blu-ray, where the episodes are about that long produce .mkv files in the 9GB to 11GB range for each episode. You seem to have something else than a standard blu-ray disc with a few episodes of a TV show on it.

What do you get if you rip some of the smaller titles? What does MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) tell you about the resulting .mkv file?
smaller ones are menu titles in like 15 languages
preserve

Post by preserve »

The first four titles in your screenshot - two of them have 6 chapters, the other two have 7 chapters, they're all around 9 GB in size - if you rip those 4 titles, you'll get 4 separate files, with each file being 1 episode. The length of each file/episode here varies between 40 to 43 minutes long. Season 1 Disc 1 contains the first 4 episodes - Pilot Part 1, Pilot Part 2, Tabula Rasa, and Walkabout.

Not sure what trouble you're running into. I have all of the LOST sets, in case you run into further trouble.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00