Help on rip of DV UHD into MKV (without any compression)

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
clenfant

Help on rip of DV UHD into MKV (without any compression)

Post by clenfant »

Hi,

Quite new into this, I'm currently starting to rip all my bluray collection.
I already have a NAS, and using Kodi on a ShieldTV to read from it on a TV Compatible with Dolby Vision.
I did tryied to read downloaded MKV files with DV UHD content, without any issue, DV is recognized from the TV and correctly displayed.

My issue is when I want to rip my own 4K DV bluray (mission impossible 6 for example).

So I am ripping the entire disk with makeMKV, then, still using makeMKV, I'm loaded the index.bdmw file, and use it to generate a MKV file with only the movie track, main audio track and subtitles.
I'm not re-encoding anything, I want to keep it that way, full quality.

But doing so, I can't get the DolbyVision to be recognized.

I have read lot of topics from this forum, but most of the time, this is about to re-encode the MKV keeping the DV info, but this is not what I want/need, as I don't re-encode.

Any clarification/help would be more than welcome :)
dcoke22

Re: Help on rip of DV UHD into MKV (without any compression)

Post by dcoke22 »

Dolby Vision has a concept of 'profiles'. UHD's have profile 7 DV. If you stream something from Netflix with Dolby Vision, that's profile 5. As far as I'm aware, none of the streaming boxes, including your Nvidia Shield, can play profile 7 DV from a .mkv file. (The previous statement is a an oversimplification, but is generally the case.)

When you read about people transforming a ripped UHD with DV into something else, part of that transformation is getting the DV profile into a form that their playback system can handle. They also may or may not be transcoding the video to save some space. Any DV content you've downloaded is undoubtedly NOT a profile 7 DV straight from a UHD rip.
clenfant

Post by clenfant »

ok, thanks, it becoming more clear for me.
So I need to find a way to transform the profile 7 DV into something else (profil 5 maybe), without re-encoding the content itself ?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Lots of people ask this question… Here are some other threads:

The giant DV thread. Start at the end and work backwards. RESET_9999 and quietvoid really know a lot about it. Check RESET's signature.
Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Cannot get Dolby Vision

Dolby Vision x265 Encoding, DV Profile Advantages/Caveats?

Converting UHD BD dvhe.07 to dvhe.08 with dovi_tool
clenfant

Post by clenfant »

Thanks or your help.
I already start to revert read the big DV thread, but without the background knowledge it was impossible to understand.
It's becoming clearer (a little) now :)

In the meantime, if it can be relevant to someone, I tried to go with dvdfab software, and generate MKV and MP4 files.
Even if I choose the template dedicated to DV movie, I didn't get any MKV to trigger the DV on my TV.
I did succeed with MP4, but the result is a dark and greensih picture, don't know why or if I did something wrong.

Rgds
Clenfant
knilch

Post by knilch »

Use DoVi Tools to convert profile 7 to profile 8 and get rid of the Enhancement Layer as there is no TV that can handle 12 bit video. This process results in a video track with HDR10 Base Layer + RPU. Fire TV and Shiels TV can playback this with DV or HDR depending on the user's preference and hardware. See the github page of the DoVi project for examples.