MakeMKV converts Dolby Atmos to MLP problem

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
rosegirl

MakeMKV converts Dolby Atmos to MLP problem

Post by rosegirl »

Hi, my apologies but couldn't seem to find anything that answered the problem. There were lots of posts about drop outs on the Atmos file, but this is different.

I have been using MakeMKV for a few years now to make MKV files of the music blu-rays that I buy. Recently my partner got an Atmos system, so I thought I would include the Atmos file (I usually edit it off by unticking the box) on the disc I was ripping (namely Richard Wright's Wet Dream)

However, when I played the resulting MKV file the Atmos stream had been converted to MLP 5.1. I was playing back on an OPPO UDP-203 if that is important.

I've looked in settings, and done some googling, so I think I understand that the MKV maker is removing part of the audio stream, but I couldn't find anything that would let me change the settings so it will rip both parts. I read something about running a program called EAC3TO, but I'm not sure what it is or how it works.

Could anyone tell me what I am supposed to do to get the Atmos stream in my MKV file. I would be very grateful as I am suffering a bit from confusion and info overload.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Catherine
Billycar11

Re: MakeMKV converts Dolby Atmos to MLP problem

Post by Billycar11 »

atmos would be the truehd track just make sure that one is selected and it should work.
i dont think makemkv can convert to mlp probably just a fallback of one of the other codecs.
makemkv can only convert to flac or pcm last i checked
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV converts Dolby Atmos to MLP problem

Post by Woodstock »

Generally, MakeMKV doesn't convert streams unless set to do so. You can see if you've set such a change by looking at the streams to be ripped, but expanding the track on the left side of the "rip box". That will show each of the tracks available on the disk, and any conversions you've asked for. Make sure the Atmos track is selected.

Looking at one disk I have handy, my conversions show the original track, but and conversions being done.

After the disk is ripped, then you have the player to account for. Some players have to be told to leave the audio tracks alone. A new playback device may not be known your player, so it converts the audio track for you (being helpful, you know!).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging