24 bit music blu ray files converted to 32 bit

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
smallpox

24 bit music blu ray files converted to 32 bit

Post by smallpox »

I have ripped several music blu ray files containing lpcm 24 bit 9600 hz 5.1 to my HDD. They get converted to 32 bit files which are not supported by my receiver (marantz av 7703). The surround music is down graded to stereo. Is there a setting I need to change?
smallpox

Re: 24 bit music blu ray files converted to 32 bit

Post by smallpox »

Music files ripped using makemkv in vlc showed the music files as 32 bit, mediainfoonline showed them as 24 bit, and the blu ray player showed 24 bit. VLC WAS WRONG. This led to 2 days of going down the wrong path for a solution to my play back issues. The problem I had was a setting on my Marantz av 7703.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I had no idea MediaInfoOnline was a thing. I use and recommend other people use MediaInfo all the time.

I messed around with Super Audio CD years ago, but I found I couldn't hear any benefits beyond what a good red book audio CD played on a decent transport could give me.

I suppose the real benefit here is getting a multichannel mix of the music. Other than what I hear in movies, I don't have much experience with that.

Reading the Wikipedia page about SACD I see that it supported multichannel audio. I wonder if any of my SACDs sitting on my shelf are multichannel? If they are it didn't make an impression on me it seems. :)
dmdmmatt4

Post by dmdmmatt4 »

TBH I think there's value in getting access to audio masters that are at a multiple of 48khz, just because it removes one step that a mastering studio can screw up - the resample to a 44khz medium.
I've usually gone the tedious and slow route of extracting and processing with ffmpeg to pull two-channel 24/48 or 24/96 audio from music blu ray/DVD media, but it's worth it when you can get hold of them.
SACD is a weird one. Some many people swear by them, but let's face it all it really is is a direct encoding of the intermediate decoding step that takes place in every bitstream DAC, so I wonder what the benefit is myself. I've actually always preferred the sound of multibit DACs too.