Help with DVD with bad title info

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
DadOfDude86

Help with DVD with bad title info

Post by DadOfDude86 »

Around 25 years ago, I transferred (probably using a video capture card) camcorder tapes to a computer and then to DVDs

The DVDs range from around 2 hours to 6 hours in length. It now appears to me that the DVDs have many "chapters", but that the "titles"
information is missing/defective. And I believe that the bad titles are the cause of the following behavior:

I ripped the DVDs to .mp4 files using vlc, and the resulting mp4 files are the right length, and can be played in their entirety on Windows machines using VLC or Media player.

But the VLC rips look - to all pieces of players and editing software I have tried - mostly like a 2 hour and 10 minute title with nothing else. The list includes:
stock Android cell phone players
iphone
Sony Bravia Smart TV
Windows ClipChamp
ffmpeg
MP4Tools
HandBrake
Playstation 4 ( which claims not to see any conforming .mp4 files)

and - wait for it .... MakeMKV in manual mode. More specifically, I suggested I wanted one title of 30 chapters as output, but MakeMKV came back and told me there was only 1 title of 6 chapters in the .iso I ripped from the DVD in question (30 was just an arbitrary guess).

As you can see, I have been at this for a while, so any feedback/advice/workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan