Subtitle problem on specific DVD

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
kultakala

Subtitle problem on specific DVD

Post by kultakala »

Hi,

I started to rip my Blue Ray and DVD discs and so far everything went fine.
As i live in germany i usually rip the video including german and english audio plus english and german subtitles if available.
I managed to do that with all discs but two of the Blue Ray discs.

Those two discs have german and danish language and include german subtitles.
The subtitles are shown on my BD player while playing the disc itself but although i can select the german subtitles in VLC they are not shown when opening the disc.

When i rip the disc with makemkv i can see two titles, one german only and one german and danish.
I only rip the last one.
There are german subtitles with a forced only section below.
After ripping i have one subtitle within the mkv file but neither VLC nor my Zidoo media player show any subtitles when playing the file.
What could be the reason for this and how can i get the subtitles working, any idea ?

Thanks!
Last edited by kultakala on Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nucleus

Re: Subtitle problem on specific DVD

Post by Nucleus »

kultakala wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:57 am
After ripping i have one subtitle within the mkv file but neither VLC nor my Zidoo media player show any subtitles when playing the file.
What could be the reason for this and how can i get the subtitles working, any idea ?
I interpret you mean on by default? If so see link in my sig Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced).
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

Nucleus wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:55 pm
I interpret you mean on by default? If so see link in my sig Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced).
No, usually i remove the default flags... in this case i switch on the subtitles in the menu but they are not shown.

Which tool would i need to look into the subtitles to determine if there is any content at all ?
Maybe the correct subtitles are not ripped correctly ?
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

kultakala wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:30 pm
Which tool would i need to look into the subtitles to determine if there is any content at all ?
Maybe the correct subtitles are not ripped correctly ?
SubtitleEdit:

Code: Select all

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit
Downloads:

https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases
Windows:
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

Thanks, i tried the Subtitle Edit Software and found out that the subtitles are only the forced ones with 4 lines in the whole movie.
I ripped all subtitle tracks, there are only two, but the subtitles are not in the mkv file.
Very strange...
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

Still dont understand why it is not working...

Makemkv shows two subtitles, german and german forced.
I select both in makemkv and after the rip only the forced subtitles are in the movie.
What could cause this ?

Last edited by kultakala on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV shows two (potential) subtitle tracks for each ACTUAL subtitle track.

One is, "all subtitles listed in track X". The other is, "all subtitles listed in track X that are FLAGGED as forced". If none are flagged as forced, that second track will be deleted. If there are just a couple of subtitles in the track (possibly zero), there won't be a lot to display.

I have only a few disks where the second track survived the "delete if empty" stage. Most DVD, BD, and UHD disks have "full tracks" that are "forced subtitles", so they don't use the forced flag at all.

When you played the video, did you select to turn one of the subtitle tracks on? You probably only had one. It may not be what you saw, though. I have Star Trek movies where subtitles appear, when none are turned on. Such as when Klingon is being used and meaning is important to the plot. But turning subtitles on gives a different display, because the text is different.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

When playing the disc in my BD Player there are no subtitles as default.
When i select the german subtitles the whole movie is complete with thousand lines of subtitles.
But when i rip the disc in the mkv file are only the forced subtitles (4 lines saying what a sign in the movie means).
So the subtitles are on the disc but i am not able to get them into the mkv file...
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

Fix the image tag in your previous post, you have correctly used the IMG tags but used a page url. The image url is:

https://i.imgur.com/UWwlx3k.png

In your post it should look like this:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/UWwlx3k.png[/IMG]
Looking at that image I've no clue why you get no subs, especially as you say they show fine when played on a disc player.

Is that in your image how you're ripping, everything except attachments? If so I've no idea how a rip like that would work, does it rip to separate files or one mkv?
Windows:
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

Ah, Okay... i just used the insert image button which added the tags in small letters, now its showing :)

In the image all titles are checked, i only rip the second title but with both subtitles.
Dont know why that does not work.
It rips to one file, if i rip all 4 titles i get 4 files but the second one without the subtitles, too.
The other titles have no subtitles.
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

Has me beaten this one, the only thing I can think is if there's anything set in Preferences/Advanced/Default Selection Rule that may be over riding your setting to rip the German subs. I'm clueless on the Default Selection Rule stuff, I was just fortunate enough to find one that pre selects English audio/subs only for me, then I just untick any streams I don't want in the rip. Mine is this:

el:(eng|nolang),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang,
Admin post about it and other threads can be found about it. As said though, I've no idea about it, and perhaps there is something set there that is over riding you specifying to rip the German subs.
Windows:
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

I already ripped a few dozens of DVD and BD discs and never had a problem, seems to be something special about this 2 discs.
Will have a look at it later, thanks!
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

You could demux both subtile tracks with tsmuxer (from the decyrpted disc) and upload it somewhere so we can take a look.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

So i would have to rip the disc with makemkv and then use tsmuxer on the mkv file ?
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

I tried it... the resulting .sup file is 93,1 kB in size.
And when i load that into "Subtitle Edit" there are only those 4 lines from the forced subtitles.