can't get disc to rip properly

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
andy?

can't get disc to rip properly

Post by andy? »

I am trying to make an mkv out of 'Rammstein - Live Aus Berlin'

I tried simply using makemkv
I tried ripping files to hdd with anydvd then converting with makemkv
I tried ripping files to hdd with anydvd, re-authoring the main show with dvd shrink then converting with makemkv

All three methods leave me with nothing but a green screen if I play back with Media Player Classic. If I playback with Windows Media Player I get sound but just garbage for video.
The ripped video_ts folder will play fine so the source files are good.

Just can't get MakeMKV to do this one....any thoughts?

BTW: I have anydvd disabled when I am running the program... MakeMKV bitches about this program sometimes if it is enabled which I don't understand....
andy?

Re: can't get disc to rip properly

Post by andy? »

I am also starting to notice some of the videos can have 'jerky... or stuttering' video. Not horribly bad but noticeable and therefore unacceptable.
I just ripped another concert and played the original dvd and the ripped mkv file simultaneously on 2 side by side monitors an it is definitely there.

What could be causing these problems?
andy?

Post by andy? »

Do any of the developers visit here? I would really like to have some help with this issue.
I mean this isn't freeware, I paid for this. There are no links or anything on the website for tech support so I expected to get a reply from someone who has something to do with this program here in the forum...

Anyone.....
andy?

Post by andy? »

Woodstock wrote:Does your computer have the proper CODECs installed for the video and audio within the MKV files? Can you play the MKV files with VLC, which includes its own CODECs?

I had little luck with Media Player and MKV files for a long time. VLC worked just fine, but MP just complained that the CODEC wasn't supported, even after I'd installed the proper CODECs. I finally got it working with some registry tweaks, but then MP wouldn't stream MKV files properly, when acting as a server. Gave up on it.
Yeah, that shouldn't be an issue. I can play pretty much anything.
I have ripped tons of discs with MakeMKV already with no issues. MPC plays all the mkv's I have made fine.
I am just having trouble with this one especially. Another thing about it was when it read it, it took forever to prepare the rip. Probably 3-5 minutes.... even after I ripped it to the hard drive.
It seems most of my issues are with concert music dvd's for some reason.

I have ripped plenty of Blu Ray and standard DVD with no issues.... but for some reason the music discs have some issues...
andy?

Post by andy? »

ok. Was just looking a Family Guy rip.

Watching 2 screens side by side.
One playing the original video_ts folder ripped by AnyDVD
The other playing the individual mkvs ripped by MakeMKV.

There is definitely a noticeable stutter and or jaggy edges when there is action... what could cause this.
I have played the mkv in 2 different media players.... The both play perfectly if playing the original files.
I though MakeMKV just simply put the mpeg file into an mkv container without any altercation of the video.

So why is there problems with it?
andy?

Post by andy? »

Ok, just solved all of my problems... no thanks to the fucking developers.

In MPC settings
Playback>>>Output
Under 'DirectShow Video' .... EVR Custom Pres. was selected.
I simply changed that to 'Haali Renderer'

All problems solved.

You know even if the developers could not have solved my issue, it pissed me off that they didn't even try.
There is no way at all to contact for technical support.
I have seen far greater customer care and support for most freeware!

If you are going to SELL something then you should fucking support your product. Yes, I understand it was not even a makemkv issue but we didn't know that until now.

Software is great... customer support sucks.

Later.
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

andy? wrote:Ok, just solved all of my problems... no thanks to the fucking developers.
andy? wrote:Software is great... customer support sucks.
1. It was suggested you try VLC, you didn't. Why would anyone else make a suggestion when you ignore the one that you got "I can play anything". Clearly you couldn't.

2. Consider that you didn't get any other help because nobody else has an issue with MakeMKV and the sources that you mention.

3. AFAIK, MakeMKV is developed by one man. He can't be everywhere.

4. You kiss your mother with that mouth?
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
andy?

Post by andy? »

Navvie wrote:
andy? wrote:Ok, just solved all of my problems... no thanks to the fucking developers.
andy? wrote:Software is great... customer support sucks.
1. It was suggested you try VLC, you didn't. Why would anyone else make a suggestion when you ignore the one that you got "I can play anything". Clearly you couldn't.

2. Consider that you didn't get any other help because nobody else has an issue with MakeMKV and the sources that you mention.

3. AFAIK, MakeMKV is developed by one man. He can't be everywhere.

4. You kiss your mother with that mouth?
I never said I could play 'anything'... I said 'just about anything'.

Maybe I got a little carried away but I would expect a little better support for a paid product... email support perhaps? Even if it was an makemkv issue that couldn't be resolved I could have accepted that if the support was there.

I don't particularly like vlc player and don't have it installed so that is why I didn't try it. Plus I think mpc does a better job (if configured properly)... don't know how that setting got changed.
Anyway, was just getting frustrated I guess so I apologize about the language... and to answer your question, no I don't. My mom is dead.
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

My question number 4 is a fairly typical rebuke to someone with a "potty mouth".

I apologise for any offence I caused.

FWIW, I do agree with you. As a paid user of MakeMKV there should be some sort of direct tech support available.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE