success making .mkv from BluRay but handbrake won't open it

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
hahafunny

success making .mkv from BluRay but handbrake won't open it

Post by hahafunny »

title00.mkv failed
[14:36:51] scan: unrecognized file type
[14:36:51] libhb: scan thread found 0 valid title(s)
[14:36:51] macgui: ScanDone state received from fHandle

this .mkv file does play in VLC all the way through though...

problem is i need to process it via handbrake so i can play it via itunes - appletv 2....

should i find another app to replace handbrake for this file?
AppleTV 2
hahafunny

Re: success making .mkv from BluRay but handbrake won't open

Post by hahafunny »

Woodstock wrote:What version of Handbrake? Version 0.95 for Windows works with MKVs created from BDs, other than not acknowledging the BD-type subtitles.
i'm on a mac using the newest version of makemkv....

i do have a old windows pc i can try and run handbrake on...

i should mention that have have been successful up until now ripping about 20 Blu Ray discs using makemkv and then handbrake to get 720p files to play on appletv2...

EDIT: I am also using the newest version of Handbrake on a mac...
Last edited by hahafunny on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AppleTV 2
hahafunny

Post by hahafunny »

ok, just had a 2nd blu ray .mkv that handbrake wouldn't open... getting error - Too many streams?

i did find a app from the Apple Mac app store that was able to open the blu ray .mkv and endode it into an AppleTV 2 playable file...

the app is called Video-Converter - the only problem i am having that it doesn't encode a stereo and 5.1 tracks at the same time, you have to choose either stereo OR 5.1 and then if you choose surround you get even less options for the video quality... it only gives you a lower quality video but if you choose stereo audio you can select higher quality video settings... also all chapter markers are lost in this app... argh!

so, it isn't ideal but in a pinch i can keep getting my collection on my nas for appletv 2 playback...

argh...

any ideas what to do to get handbrake working on these mkv's now? have never encountered problem opening .mkv's in handbrake before... also, these .mkv's play fine in VLC player...
AppleTV 2
hahafunny

Post by hahafunny »

Woodstock wrote:You might try going for one of the "Nightly Builds" of Handbrake. There are a LOT of changes between 0.95 and the recent builds, many of which have to do with BD audio streams.

https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/

There are other possibilities. I've seen messages recommending updating the ffmpeg implementation on the Windows version to something more current than comes with Handbrake; not sure if that applies to the Mac version as well.

The nightly build of handbrake on a mac works! Your suggestions has solved my problem...

Thank you so much for your help!
AppleTV 2
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Woodstock wrote:I've seen messages recommending updating the ffmpeg implementation on the Windows version to something more current than comes with Handbrake; not sure if that applies to the Mac version as well.
It won't help. HandBrake uses a statically-linked copy of FFmpeg.