Copying blu ray with subtitles

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Chetwood

Re: Copying blu ray with subtitles

Post by Chetwood »

Simple, if you rip main movie only (drop all streams you don't need) with DVDfab's free ripper, you can go on from there: remux to a single m2ts with TsMuxer or encode to whatever container with Handbrake & Co.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Chetwood wrote:Simple, if you rip main movie only (drop all streams you don't need) with DVDfab's free ripper, you can go on from there: remux to a single m2ts with TsMuxer or encode to whatever container with Handbrake & Co.
I still don't get why that's better...
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

It's better cause it does not involve a pointless step of having an MKV along the way.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
TempGuy1

Post by TempGuy1 »

Chetwood wrote:It's better cause it does not involve a pointless step of having an MKV along the way.

It's not pointless if it works just fine and it replaces another step such as using DVDfab. It takes the same amount of time and same amount of steps. Just a different way of doing it.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

*cough* M2TS files can keep TrueHD with an embedded AC3 core, MKV can't...
Dazkine

Copying blu ray with subtitles

Post by Dazkine »

But i wouldnt do that Thd and ac3 in One Stream
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

You can use Handbrake to burn-in the subtitles. Use preview to be sure you choose the correct subtitle file for the foreign parts (usually the third English one). Then there is no worry if your player supports subtitles or not. This is especially useful if you play the file on various devices like tablets.
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

Im wondering why ppl still backup their movies on bluray disk.

Since there is Cinevia the backup doesnt play on more und more Bluray SA
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Dazkine wrote:But i wouldnt do that Thd and ac3 in One Stream
Having an AC3 core is a requirement of TrueHD streams within MT2S files, in fact TSMuxer will not even recognise a TrueHD stream from an MKV because Mastroska files cannot hold TrueHD with an embedded AC3 core. The way MKV handles TrueHD makes them utterly incompatible with MT2S, so if you're planning on making an M2TS from a Blu Ray rip with a TrueHD Stream, using MakeMKV (or even MKVMerge) on it at any point is a very bad idea. I've yet to find a way to recombine TrueHD with it's core...
Dazkine wrote:I'm wondering why ppl still backup their movies on bluray disk.Since there is Cinevia the backup doesnt play on more und more Bluray SA
Obviously, the OP has yet to encounter that problem, so has no reason to change. My RAID Drive is quickly filling up with X264 re-encodes of my DVDs, while X265 is coming closer to being a viable reality every day...
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

ndjamena wrote:
Dazkine wrote:I'm wondering why ppl still backup their movies on bluray disk.Since there is Cinevia the backup doesnt play on more und more Bluray SA
Obviously, the OP has yet to encounter that problem, so has no reason to change. My RAID Drive is quickly filling up with X264 re-encodes of my DVDs, while X265 is coming closer to being a viable reality every day...
It still doesn't have any psychovisual optimizations though, AFAIK. If I am not mistaken, it sometimes beats x264 for low-bitraste encodes, but at "normal" bitrates (half to a quarter of BD rates) it's still not even close. And it's quite slow (not a surprise given the increased complexity of the codec, but that still means it'll be a while until it can beat x264 at the same encoding speed).