Titles out of sequence when ripping tv shows

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Krawk

Titles out of sequence when ripping tv shows

Post by Krawk »

I think this issue was introduced on the 2nd previous version of MakeMKV, perhaps 1.9.10 was good but 1.10.0 made the change. The issue is it now seeds titles out of sequence on dvd discs.
When I ripped tv series dvds previously 3 (or 4) episodes per disc they would be ripped in order, title0 was episode 1, title 1 was episode 2, title 2 was episode 3 and so on. Now the first two titles are often switched with each other and sometimes title 2 (and 3) play the slide puzzle shuffle as well. Rarely are the episodes in the correct order. This is really "fun" when trying to rip a tv series in which each episode does not display a name of the episode somewhere during playback.
I am trying to archive my tv shows and put the discs away in a box in the closet to make room for more Blu Rays and the extra time required to figure out if the episodes are correctly named or not is in unwelcome change.

Nothing else has changed in my setup, OS, etc.
Woodstock

Re: Titles out of sequence when ripping tv shows

Post by Woodstock »

This may be the same issue that happens on some BDs - MakeMKV lists the titles by the order the files appear in the directory, NOT sorted by their actual file names.

But, since you don't see "file names" in the DVD display (just ID numbers) it would be rather hard to tell.

It will be interesting to see what Mike has to say about this!
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

Are you sure this is a problem with MakeMKV? There have always been some TV DVDs where the episodes are out of order. I doublecheck everything anyway because it only takes a few seconds per episode, so it's really not that big of a deal. I haven't noticed any more being out of order lately than before the version you mentioned. It would be a significant change to shuffle the titles for no apparent reason in the interface. I'd be quite surprised if you downgraded MakeMKV and re-ripped an out-of-order disc and it was magically in order.
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Wasabi wrote:Are you sure this is a problem with MakeMKV? There have always been some TV DVDs where the episodes are out of order. I doublecheck everything anyway because it only takes a few seconds per episode, so it's really not that big of a deal. I haven't noticed any more being out of order lately than before the version you mentioned. It would be a significant change to shuffle the titles for no apparent reason in the interface. I'd be quite surprised if you downgraded MakeMKV and re-ripped an out-of-order disc and it was magically in order.
Agree!

I can't say that I've ever owned ripping software that sequenced titles in the proper order. That's not to say there's not anything that does, I've just personally not aware of one. I've always been of the opinion it's the way that particular series was authored. I recently finished all 5 seasons of Fringe (blu-ray) and they were not in sequence however the first 4 seasons of Person of Interest (blu-ray), that I'm working on now, are in order. I use information gathered from The Online TV Database to match ripped titles to the correct episode(s).
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Woodstock wrote:This may be the same issue that happens on some BDs - MakeMKV lists the titles by the order the files appear in the directory, NOT sorted by their actual file names.

But, since you don't see "file names" in the DVD display (just ID numbers) it would be rather hard to tell.

It will be interesting to see what Mike has to say about this!
If I play the disc with VLC the titles appear in order. What I mean is I select the actual title from the playback screen, not the disc menu. As VLC starts with title 1 (not 0) I have compensated for it. Episodes 1, 2, 3 are typically titles 1, 2, 3 but ripped with MakeMKV they might be 1, 0, 2 or 2, 0, 1 to to be in the correct order.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'd suggest the old "send the IFOs and log to ..." instructions. Maybe Mike can track it down.

Can't be much worse than the episode sequences for Firefly or Haruhi Suzimiya, where broadcast order and DVD order are different, and in Haruhi's case, the BD is different, too!
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

I've ripped my fair share of TV shows with a lot of versions of MakeMKV.

I've always thought it had to do with the way the disc is authored.

From my own experience, lot of times they aren't in order.

I developed my own episode guide just because of this very problem. Some shows I check the production number of the episode to get the right order. If they don't have a production number shown in the end credits, then I check the episode runtime. And as a last resort, if I have multiple episodes with the same runtime on the same disc - or if I don't know the runtime - then I'll watch the opening credits and check for who wrote/directed the episode.

It's not a problem with a TV show I know really well. And of course it's not a problem with nice shows like Star Trek that show the episode title at the beginning :) It's more of a problem with shows I haven't watched for a long time, or shows I haven't watched before.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

preserve wrote:Some shows I check the production number of the episode to get the right order.
That is not 100% reliable. There are times that production requirements result in the production numbers not being in order.

One sure way is to play the DVD/Blu-ray and take notes about the episodes if there are issues.