Can't Turn Off Closed Caption

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
mutlyp

Can't Turn Off Closed Caption

Post by mutlyp »

All of a sudden the dvds I recorded to my computer with MakeMKV play with Closed Caption on in Windows Media Player. I have gone into security in the player and made sure "Show local captions when presnt" was unchecked and also under "Lyrics, captions, and subtitles" and made sure off was selected and it was but I still get the closed captions. If I play another format in Windows Media Player no closed caption.
Any ideas???
Thank You
MutlyP
setarip_old

Re: Can't Turn Off Closed Caption

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

What makes you say the subtitles are "closed caption"?

Is this happening with just one specific MKV, or several?

If it's just one, is it possible that the original DVD that the .MKV was made from contains PERMANENT ("burned in") subtitles?

mutlyp

Post by mutlyp »

Well I guess it could be English Subtitles. But the sound is on and they are speaking english so I don't know why English Subtitles would be on. But I have clicked and checked evertyhing to turn off the subtitles and Closed Caption but when ever I watch ALL videos with .mkv I get the words appearing at the bottom of he screen as the actors say them.
Driving me crazy please help
Thank You
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Is it possible that you're playing .MKVs that you downloaded - and they contain PERMANENT ("burned in") subtitles?

I ask this because, as far as I know (and, to see if I could duplicate your problem, I just created an .MKV from a DVD and played it with Microsoft Windows Media Player 11 - I could not), Microsoft Windows Media Player 11 will only display subtitles that are either PERMANENT ("burned in"), or if the .MKV is accompanied in the same folder by a text-format subtitle (.SSA, .SRT, etc.) with the same primary name as the .MKV...