Problem creating MKVs from Zorro

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Sidrack

Problem creating MKVs from Zorro

Post by Sidrack »

I already decrypted once more the first disc (haven't tested others), but nothing changed. Original disc is R0.

At least 2-3 or all 7 episodes from disc 1 can't be saved as MKV. Reproducing this disc on MPC or any other player doesn't show me any problem, so this is only happening when I try to use MakeMKV on them.

This is my report:
IFO files compressed are attached on this thread.
ifoscompressed.zip
IFOs from VIDEO_TS folder
(97.23 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
LOG report:
MakeMKV_log.txt (887 KB file):
http://www.easy-share.com/1912251098/MakeMKV_log.txt

Any idea what's going on?
mike admin

Re: Problem creating MKVs from Zorro

Post by mike admin »

The VOB file is damaged. Likely you're opening a bad rip.
Sidrack

Post by Sidrack »

Assuming the VOBs were not decrypted properly, is there a way to fix them?

I mean, if you can watch all VOB contents without any indication there's a problem, if you can't rip them to MKV then there must be something else that we can do? Maybe using another software to force those VOBs to be fixed? I noticed that even after opening them on DVDFab, there was a report indicating the files were still protected, but even after generating another decrypted copy from all of them, MakeMKV still can't generate some files/episodes in MKV format.

I must say this is not affecting all episodes on this disc, only 2 or 3 of them. They are being detected and listed but when you start generating the rips, you will see these errors in the log.

BTW, this is the DVDFab report. The last version of this software was used.
Disc type: Video DVD
Disc region: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Video standard: PAL

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection is not found.
RC (Region Code) protection is not found.
RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection is not found.
APS (Analog Protection System) protection is not found.
UOPs (User Operation Prohibitions) protection is removed!

Invalid PTTs protection is not found.
Invalid PGCIs protection is not found.
Invalid PGCs protection is not found.
Invalid TMAPs protection is not found.
Invalid CELLs protection is removed!
Invalid VOBUs protection is removed!
Fake vts protection is not found!
Potential bad sector (vts:3 menu begin:40078 end:53281) is removed!
1 potential bad sector protections are removed!
Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) is removed!

PathPlayer is enabled!
Unplayable cell (vts:2 title pgc:12 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:3 title pgc:2 cell:1) is removed!
2 unplayable cells are removed!
I tried to use AnyDVD but it didn't worked on my mounted ISO, I am still trying to figure out why.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
I noticed that even after opening them on DVDFab, there was a report indicating the files were still protected

This is a further indication of a dirty or physically damaged disc, as already stated by "mike admin".

Players can often successfully playback a problematic disc because of builtin error compensation abilities - but PERFECT source material is required for copying.

Try cleaning the disc and attempt to rip it again. If it still fails, return it to the place of purchase in exchange for a new copy...

Sidrack

Post by Sidrack »

setarip_old wrote:This is a further indication of a dirty or physically damaged disc, as already stated by "mike admin".

Players can often successfully playback a problematic disc because of builtin error compensation abilities - but PERFECT source material is required for copying.

Try cleaning the disc and attempt to rip it again. If it still fails, return it to the place of purchase in exchange for a new copy...
That's very interesting. I always suspected that players were able to compensate those disc errors and other softwares were not capable of decrypting faulty discs (and I always used them as reference to know if a disc is damaged). What puzzled me was this - sometimes the errors are very hidden and you can watch the contents without even knowing. I tried now disc 2 and it worked 100%. So there must be a mistake in the decryption process or as you say, the disc had errors in the surface.

BTW, I tested with the new MakeMKV 1.6.0 version. This new version had the following changes:
* Updated blu-ray keys for AACS v19
* Updated BD+ engine
* On backup MakeMKV now validates content hash tables and detects corrupted M2TS files
* Better support for DVD discs
* MakeMKV is now more tolerable to badly-mastered or damaged discs
* Better support for HD-DVD discs
* Many stability improvements
Still, 2 titles were not saved from disc 1. And when I attempted to extract subtitles from all Matroska files created, using MKVextractGUI, only a SUB file was created and SubRip (accessing VOBs)/Subtitle Workshop were unable to do anything. That can possibly explains why no one has uploaded subtitles from this TV show on the internet. Probably the original discs had something wrong in the authoring process. Strange, since the subtitles were perfectly readable (if there was a problem with the BMP images making difficult to read OCR, I would know and still, I would be able to process them in Subrip/Subtitle Workshop).
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Although you haven't said so, I presume you've cleaned the disc(s) before trying with v.1.6.0. If so, based on your results, I'd once again suggest that you return them to the place of purchase in exchange for new replacements...