Linux - MKV-to-DVD-ISO (lossless)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
videozombi

Linux - MKV-to-DVD-ISO (lossless)

Post by videozombi »

i am struggling to find a way to get some old vhs recordings of my childhood (captured mpeg2 & ac3 preserved as mkv) back onto dvd under linux (lossless).

can you recommend a tool that will create dvd iso images from mkvs without reencoding?

thank you in advance
Last edited by videozombi on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Linux - MKV-to-DVD-ISO (lossless)

Post by Woodstock »

You will need DVD authoring software that will accept MKV as an input format, and hopefully it will agree that the input is proper MPEG2 and doesn't need recoding (that's where the losses come in).

There are a number of open-source packages out there that will do it; Searching for "linux dvd authoring" should come up with lots of leads, including tutorials.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
videozombi

Post by videozombi »

hi woodstock,

thanks a lot for taking time to reply.

i have been searching on this matter for days, unfortunately did not find a proper solution to it. lossless seems of no interrest at all?

so i took the chance and registered here, hoping to get a decent recommendation from you experts here.

will continue searching for it.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Tested this years ago without success with the DVDLAB Authoring software. Extracted the Audio and Video streams from MKV and imported them into DVDLAB but during compilation to build the DVD structrues it failes due to errors in the video stream (I Frames and so on missing). So I think there is no way to convert it to DVD. You sould think about putting the MKVs files on USB or whatever for playing.
Good Luck :)

Post by videozombi »

well, this is not so good news - but i knew it is not going to be easy.
Grauhaar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:51 pm
You sould think about putting the MKVs files on USB or whatever for playing.
unfortunately, in this case usb is not an option for playback, so i need to choose the dvd format.

the overall quality of the source tapes was quite poor already, therefore i would like to stay with the captured quality (mpeg2 & ac3) of my mkvs.

in the end, there is plenty of win tutorials out there describing a needless transcoding process. finding a lossless mkv2iso tutorial with the help of open source tools under linux seems impossible.
videozombi

Post by videozombi »

seems i found a suitable authoring tool (offering mkv support) which is still in the repo, devedeng 4.12. the option for lossless processing is hidden very well, i found it by chance (under misc: this file is already dvd mpeg-ps file).

by activating it, my vhs-mkv is indeed copied over to a menu subfolder as an .mpeg video during the iso creation process. unfortunately, after doing so it hangs with this warning: skipping sector at inoffset 0, waiting for first vobu - i can watch the complete mpeg in the target dir though without any problems...

after all, anyone who can tell me what this warning is all about in particular?