Ridiculously long rip times on DVD and BR

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Genome

Ridiculously long rip times on DVD and BR

Post by Genome »

Hi all, I'm new here so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I'm using MakeMKV in a pretty vanilla fashion (I believe) and ever since I've moved to the .14 series rips start fine and then after a couple of meg the rip crawls at something like .1x read rate. If I go back to the .12 version everything is fine again. Can anyone give some advice on what is happening and suggest a fix? I read people raving about .14 and I get excited every time a patch comes out but the patch never solves the problem. TIA.
Genome

Re: Ridiculously long rip times on DVD and BR

Post by Genome »

A BR just took 17 hours ...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Does the bluray have closed captions? Were they selected for extraction?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Genome

Post by Genome »

I think that may well be part of it, there were several languages that I didn't need as well as several associated captions and it's now ripping a lot faster, not blindingly fast but still dramatically faster. Thanks for the pointer, I feel stupid not thinking of something so simple.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Others have complained that CC extraction has been taking "forever". I checked the BDs and DVDs I've ripped in the last couple of months, and none of them had "closed captions" (they use a subtitle track instead), so I haven't seen the delays.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Unibrowser

Post by Unibrowser »

IVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THIS SOLUTION FOR WEEKS THANK YOU. THE MOMENT I UNCHECKED THE CLOSED CAPTIONS, IT RIPS AT A NORMAL SPEED. OMG WHAT A FREAKING NIGHTMARE.
This is the way