Question on MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
tyrenta

Question on MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC

Post by tyrenta »

I know this means an unreadable disc but I have had the same issue come up with two discs recently -- I'm using the most recent version:

1) Expendables 3:
MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_14_1.VOB' at offset '8359936'

I borrowed another copy (i.e. different disc) and received the exact same error -- same file and same offset as my copy

This error occurs while scanning the disc not ripping it

2) Cold Pursuit -- same thing but scan is OK, the error occurs while ripping

I cleaned the drive with a cleaning disc and no change on either disc -- Is it possible for a drive to cause this issue rather than the disc? Or is it something else? I'm not at home to post an error report but can later if that would help. Thanks for any feedback
swift

Re: Question on MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC

Post by swift »

Yes, I get the same thing. Probably the last few months I've noticed the same thing. I've tried 3 different PCs / DVD drives. Cold Pursuit was definitely one of them.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Expendables is a Lionsgate DVD. Many of the files on these disks point to areas outside the recorded disk, and to intentionally bad sectors, so picking the CORRECT titles to rip will usually avoid errors like this. Even the titles that rip without errors will often contain out-of-sequence chapters.

The last time I did a Lionsgate DVD, it generated 7 "full length" titles, 6 of which had scenes that were out-of-sequence. I'm not really sure which one was correct - I lost interest in the movie about 10 minutes in.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
swift

Post by swift »

That's good to know Woodstock. Thanks!

Long Shot did the same thing, so I'll check all the titles and see if one is successful.