He-man (animated 2002) odd dimensions

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Krawk

He-man (animated 2002) odd dimensions

Post by Krawk »

I realize DVD is a small part of the program but I have run across another title that saves with incorrect dimensions. Perhaps the dimensions are stored in an IFO that MakeMKV does not read?
He-Man & The Masters of the Universe (Mill Creek) Region 1 -
The data is stored in 720 x 480 format, but the display width is saved as 640x480 when it should be 854 wide. Handbrake makes it even worse, but still maintains the 4:3 format when it should be 16:9.
Yes, I can fix it with MKVToolnix. With UHD and constant BD updates as well as libredrive, is this small annoyance a lost cause and users should just be prepared to fix it themselves or use a different program to rip these oddly mastered titles?
Grauhaar

Re: He-man (animated 2002) odd dimensions

Post by Grauhaar »

There are many old DVDs out with bad mastering. The problem is, the 4:3 / 16:9 (anamorph) setting is in the IFO file and in each stream header. And this can only be solved with a change of the stream header. There are tools available which can patch the stream header from 4:3 to 16:9.
Handbrake has a setting for anamorph, but I don't know what happens if the stream itself is flagged worng. I think in this case the input base is wrong and the output is also wrong, reardless of the setting.
Good Luck :)