MakeMKV v1.14.7 Isn't ripping DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Marvs1911

MakeMKV v1.14.7 Isn't ripping DVD

Post by Marvs1911 »

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Just went to MakeMKV on my Windows 10 PC which had MakeMKV v1.14.5 on it and was working correctly in every way. It made me upgrade to the new version of MakeMKV and now it won't rip DVDs. It does everything like normal scans disc and brings up files on disc that can be ripped but as soon as I go to rip the disc it goes to the normal ripping page and the disc spins up and shows how fast it is reading the disc but that is all it is doing. It is not actually ripping the disc at all. Seems like it is stuck in a loop of some kind. I have never had any real problems with this program just to let you know. The disc I am trying to rip is Gone With The Wind and neither disc works does the exact same thing for both of them. Maybe there is a bug in the new version of MakeMKV? Also I noticed that when the program analyzes the disc before you can rip it I think that it is skipping the decrypting step. It flashed up for a moment then you are at the screen showing which files you can rip. The progress bar for decrypting doesn't progress just says it than you are on the next page. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?
mike admin

Re: MakeMKV v1.14.7 Isn't ripping DVD

Post by mike admin »

Marvs1911 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:47 am
I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Just went to MakeMKV on my Windows 10 PC which had MakeMKV v1.14.5 on it and was working correctly in every way. It made me upgrade to the new version of MakeMKV and now it won't rip DVDs. It does everything like normal scans disc and brings up files on disc that can be ripped but as soon as I go to rip the disc it goes to the normal ripping page and the disc spins up and shows how fast it is reading the disc but that is all it is doing. It is not actually ripping the disc at all. Seems like it is stuck in a loop of some kind. I have never had any real problems with this program just to let you know. The disc I am trying to rip is Gone With The Wind and neither disc works does the exact same thing for both of them. Maybe there is a bug in the new version of MakeMKV? Also I noticed that when the program analyzes the disc before you can rip it I think that it is skipping the decrypting step. It flashed up for a moment then you are at the screen showing which files you can rip. The progress bar for decrypting doesn't progress just says it than you are on the next page. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?
Sigh. It's a bug what was not manifesting itself. It happens only on discs that falsely claim closed-captions subtitles. Two workarounds, if you encounter a disc like that:
1. when selecting tracks, deselect the "cc->text" subtitle steams, as they are empty anyway. This is the easiest and fastest way.
2. Or just wait. The program is not actually stuck, it just reads entire disc slowly. Wait enough, and it will process the file. The only time you would want to go this way, only if there is a really important closed caption message at the end of file that you want to keep.
thecrisis

Post by thecrisis »

I am having the same issue, except I can't even get the DVDs in my drive to register with the program. It worked fine last week on the prior version, but it isn't now. Is there a patch upcoming?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I am having the same issue, except I can't even get the DVDs in my drive to register with the program.
Are you referring to getting a "NO DISK" message after the operating system tries to load the disk? That is an entirely separate issue.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thecrisis

Post by thecrisis »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:26 am
I am having the same issue, except I can't even get the DVDs in my drive to register with the program.
Are you referring to getting a "NO DISK" message after the operating system tries to load the disk? That is an entirely separate issue.
No. I insert the disc and the image just keeps spinning. doesn't say anything or give me an error message. It's not the drive because the DVD still plays when I open the movie player.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

thecrisis wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:29 pm
No. I insert the disc and the image just keeps spinning. doesn't say anything or give me an error message. It's not the drive because the DVD still plays when I open the movie player.
This is a separate issue. You "forgot" to mention that you are talking about a newly-protected screener disc, right?
mreedelp2

Post by mreedelp2 »

Is there a way to stop the CC>Subtitles from being selected?

I just ripped a 6 season TV series that had these subtitles in each episode. I didn't realize having it selected was slowing down the ripping process by an enormous amount. Once I started going thru each of the 8 or 9 titles on a disk and unchecking CC>Subtitles, the rips were completed in a fraction of the time.
makememe

Post by makememe »

I did what woodstock recommended to get hamlet, 1996, to rip; I installed 12.3. no problem.

My symptoms using 14.7: the disk was recognized by makemkv, files to rip list provided, started rip, but no progress bar with the hard drive and reader/player both active, steadily. However, the output file remained at 0KB and the output size noted in makemkv stayed 5.5KB. I waited 10minutes and the time to completion kept growing. This is the first time I have seen this, but I have no problem keeping 12.3 installed. Some older movies will never be blurays, so dvds still relevant. Provided just in case it helps Mike.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

This topic explains how to select which tracks are to be read. Closed Captioning will show up if the disk has it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

makememe wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:46 pm
I did what woodstock recommended to get hamlet, 1996, to rip; I installed 12.3. no problem.

My symptoms using 14.7: the disk was recognized by makemkv, files to rip list provided, started rip, but no progress bar with the hard drive and reader/player both active, steadily. However, the output file remained at 0KB and the output size noted in makemkv stayed 5.5KB. I waited 10minutes and the time to completion kept growing. This is the first time I have seen this, but I have no problem keeping 12.3 installed. Some older movies will never be blurays, so dvds still relevant. Provided just in case it helps Mike.

Thanks.
I've noticed this situation for some time where the output file size doesn't refresh but the rip continues. I just logged in to see if anyone else was having this issue. I only know that the rip is still running by watching Taskmanger (disk activity), listening to the drive, and watching the read-rate fluctuate. An annoyance but more of a scare than anything else.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Hi

I have a bunch of DVD-Rs which I'm ripping and although the files play nicely in VLC, a few older editors (eg: Womble) don't recognise the audio. I was just wondering whether there was a flag missing in the header. The metadata codec details are all fine, it just seems to be a problem in how the mkv is created.I like the fact the subs are turned on by default as it makes Plex recognise them, I just can't edit these files easily at the moment.