Different drives, different decrypt times

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jtphil

Different drives, different decrypt times

Post by jtphil »

I'm ripping DVDs of the old Red Skelton Show and I have two Blu-ray drives attached to my Mac. An old Samsung that MakeMKV recognizes as SE-506BB TS00, and a much newer, and generally faster Pioneer BCDR-XS06. But when I insert discs from this set into them, I get the message multiple times "Region setting of Drive X does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around…" from both drives, BUT the old Samsung is able to work around it much faster, in roughly 30 minutes, as opposed to about 120 minutes for the newer and faster Pioneer.

Just curious as to what might be going on. As far as I can recall, I've never set the region code on either driver and they are both set to U.S., but I might be wrong about that. It's just never been a problem in ripping discs of any region. Sometimes I get that message, sometimes I don't. These discs should be Region 1.
wrldtvlr

Re: Different drives, different decrypt times

Post by wrldtvlr »

FWIW I find that using AnyDVD to handle RPC and running MakeMKV on top of that works the quickest for DVD discs. For BR disks, I just use MakeMKV.