Castle - The Complete Series DVDs... numerous errors

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jyaxl

Castle - The Complete Series DVDs... numerous errors

Post by jyaxl »

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to MakeMKV, but am having some real issues with 'Castle' on DVD.

I run Plex on an HP Proliant and am trying to create .mkv files to then stream to PS4, iPad etc. around the home.

I have manged to convert series 1 (although it takes aaages), but having moved on to Series 2 disc 3, I received multiple read errors with the program only managing to convert 3 of the 4 episodes.

Attached is the log from today's use... any help would be greatly appreciated :D
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(99.4 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Woodstock

Re: Castle - The Complete Series DVDs... numerous errors

Post by Woodstock »

Unless ABC has re-mastered this series (which I doubt), the only error I got when ripping it was that many of the disks appeared to be pirate versions, even though they came from a legitimate source.

The errors in your log are consistent with a dirty/damaged disk. The "DEVICE STATUS DATA ERROR" is when the drive is spending too much time trying to read marginal sectors, and Windows thinks it is off-line.

I suggest cleaning them, because they're probably old enough to have accumulated quite a bit of "packaging fog" on them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jyaxl

Post by jyaxl »

Thanks woodstock, will give that a go and report back :)

Your help is much appreciated.
jyaxl

Post by jyaxl »

So... giving the discs a clean has certainly helped :D

I'm now on the second disk of S3, but am running in to another problem - one of the episodes is missing a chapter when I try and make an .mkv.

When using 'advanced mode' the title shows 9 cells and a length of 39:52, but when it then loads, it only has 7 cells and a length of 27:56

Advanced mode.png
Advanced mode.png (22.8 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
Output selection.png
Output selection.png (15.57 KiB) Viewed 5942 times

The segment map shows (1,3-8), as if it is missing segment 2...? I am most certainly a novice with this so apologies if I am missing something obvious. I've tried giving the disc another clean, PC reboot etc. to no avail.

Thanks in advance! :)

Jyaxl
jyaxl

Post by jyaxl »

Having posted my last, it then occurred to me to try and force MM to pull in cells1-9 using manual mode - rather than where I had previously just selected that title.

It now shows the correct time but is throwing numerous errors - log attached.

Thanks again in advance of any help :)
Attachments
.ifo.zip
(152.35 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
(39.03 KiB) Downloaded 346 times