DVD bonus features not on the disc as titles, MKV does not see them

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
SecurityDevice

DVD bonus features not on the disc as titles, MKV does not see them

Post by SecurityDevice »

The Run Lola Run region 1 DVD was somehow authored such that the special features are embedded in the VIDEO_TS.VOB file (where the home video company bumper and FBI warning also live). They do not show up as Titles at all, not even in manual mode. Same result in other tools, too...the only title supposedly on the disc is the movie. And no, it is not an issue with the minimum title length; I have that set at 29 seconds, and these features are all several minutes long.

If I load VIDEO_TS.IFO into VLC, it plays fine, and I can select each special feature from the disc menu individually and play it. So they are indexed somehow, just not in the normal way.

It would be nice if MakeMKV could extract these for me so I don't have to decrypt and manually pick apart the VIDEO_TS.VOB in other software.

I'd be happy to send the DVD to the developer if they want to test with it.
Ezatoka

Re: DVD bonus features not on the disc as titles, MKV does not see them

Post by Ezatoka »

They are then within the menu titles of the DVD.

I only know one program able to make movies out of them: DVDshrink

In the reauthoring mode drag the menu(s) to the left title center. A warning will appear, that the menus will be converted to static video files.

Maybe you have luck and the Extras are single menu movies. Otherwise you might need to cut the movie files for the separate extras.
chippy_axeman

Post by chippy_axeman »

Ezatoka,

I hit the same problem last night with a different disc and spent a couple of hours trying alternative software with no luck. I installed DVDshrink and was able to extract the videos.

Many thanks!!!!
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Glad I was of help *bows*
npdude

Post by npdude »

I came across a couple of DVDs -- Blazing Saddles and Road Warrior -- where the trailer was missing from MakeMKV. After I found that VIDEO_TS.VOB contained the trailer followed by copyright warnings, I fed the files into ffmpeg with a duration limit to extract the trailers. This worked fine, too.