Locking up while opening disc?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
astacy12

Locking up while opening disc?

Post by astacy12 »

I have been using MakeMKV for a long time now and it has been working perfectly until a few days ago. When I try to rip a DVD or Bluray disc, actually it won't even let me attempt to rip it since the whole program locks up when just trying to open the disc. It says "using direct disc access mode" then just sits there. I am able to cancel it, but it takes a while for it to get back to the main screen. After this, my bluray drive is unresponsive and won't even open its tray so that I can remove the disc. I must do a full cycle of the PC to get it back to normal, though most of the time the PC won't even shut down unless I do a hard cycle or unplug the sata cable from the drive itself. I have tried reinstalling MakeMKV multiple times to no avail. Also, DVDs will play just fine through VLC. Thank you for your time.

If I get a response, I'll try to reply as quickly as I can since I am fairly busy throughout the day. I have attached a log file of the most recent attempt.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
someguy123

Re: Locking up while opening disc?

Post by someguy123 »

I was searching the site, and then the forums, to see if anyone else was having the same issues. I'm trying to rip a complete DVD (not BluRay), so those other earlier posts about BluRay issues don't seem relevant. (The instructions about a hard reboot were helpful.)

My issues exactly match what 'astacy12' listed - open the MakeMKV app (version 1.15.1, Windows/64 bit), DVD disc already loaded in my internal BluRay drive, and when I click to start the initial scan/analysis of the DVD, MakeMKV shows 'Using direct disc access mode' and completely locks up. I've given it as much as 30 minutes, but the results below are always the same.

Not only does it lock the application up, it locks up the BluRay drive and File Explorer in Windows 10. I have to do a hard reboot/full power-off to exit (just like the earlier issues with BluRay discs), as there is no graceful exit from this condition. Soft reboots will not release the drive from its non-responsive state.

This is new, as just this weekend I ended up completely rebuilding my Windows 10 setup from scratch, and in the process downloaded a brand new copy of MakeMKV. I had previously been running an older copy and hadn't updated it - so as recently as last week had ripped a DVD using the same hardware without incident (the scan/analysis would happen in seconds to a minute or two at the longest).

I'd appreciate any help/feedback I could get, as I've been using MakeMKV as part of my workflow to rip my DVD and BluRay collection. If the current version isn't going to work, I'd like to know how to get an older release. Thanks.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Check this thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22509

Maybe a Libredrive problem with some controllers and/or devices which results in this type of problem.
Good Luck :)

Post by someguy123 »

Thanks - this LibreDrive issue seems to have been my problem. I had to do the 'SDF_STOP' environmental variable as noted in that thread, to keep MakeMKV from picking up the invalid firmware for my drive. I'm now ripping the last season of my Simpsons DVDs (Season 8 ).

I did have to find slightly different instructions, as I run multi-user in my Windows 10 install, and my primary user account does not have Admin rights. But once I figured out how to set non-admin user-specific environmental variable (Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Change my environment variables), everything worked from there.

Hopefully these problematic LibreDrive firmware files can be fixed - I'd enjoy having enhanced features with my drive, but I'd rather just have things work without having to remember what manual things I've updated in Windows.
astacy12

Post by astacy12 »

Grauhaar wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:13 pm
Check this thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22509

Maybe a Libredrive problem with some controllers and/or devices which results in this type of problem.
Thank you so much. I should have searched the forum myself (especially since a lot of people have been having the same problem recently), but I guess I was just too frustrated with trying to figure out the problem. Setting the environment variable as a work around worked perfectly. I'm back to ripping away. Thanks again.