Getting the same exact error across multiple discs in a boxset

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
CWCprime

Getting the same exact error across multiple discs in a boxset

Post by CWCprime »

While decrypting and opening a DVD that's part of a boxset, I get this error:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 1.00' at offset '1343488'

This displays a couple of dozen consecutive times, then skips some empty audio tracks, then it repeats the error another a couple dozen times, skips audio tracks again, repeat, repeat.

I read up this error online and read it could be a dirty disc, so I cleaned it and tried again, but still the error persists. So I decided to try another disc in the boxset, and the EXACT same error occurs, even the same offset.

Occasionally, this error will get mixed into the mess:

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 1.00' at offset '1343488'

While writing this post, one disc finally finished opening, taking over 30 minutes of this cycle repeating, but it said the operation completed successfully.

What is going on? If I go ahead and make the MKVs, will there be any errors in playback?
preserve

Re: Getting the same exact error across multiple discs in a boxset

Post by preserve »

While Medium Errors are generally an indication of a problem disc (especially for Blu-rays), I sometimes get Medium Errors for DVDs on my Blu-ray drive but then when I switch to a different drive, an older DVD drive, they rip perfectly. So for DVDs, my solution has been to use a different drive.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00