Naming of files ripped from DVD does not include title

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
abs0d

Naming of files ripped from DVD does not include title

Post by abs0d »

When ripping a BluRay the files default to names based on the disk title:

eg: "Surprisingly Understated Movie BluRay/Surprisingly_Understated_Movie_BluRay_t00.mkv"

but when ripping DVDs they just come out if the disk name was "title"

eg: "Surprisingly Understated Movie DVD/title_t00.mkv"

Is it possible to set the DVD behaviour to match the BluRay?

David
Woodstock

Re: Naming of files ripped from DVD does not include title

Post by Woodstock »

The DVD behavior already matches the BD behavior - it's just that a lot fewer DVDs use the title metadata.

You can fill in the information, though. Changing names with Expert mode enabled
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

I've found the behavior to be erratic, sometimes it gives normal names, sometimes not, even though the volume name is clearly identified. It would be nice to see it force the proper name every time.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It may be tied to how many titles are on the disk. I haven't noticed it NOT working because I typically rip the BD version of BD/DVD packs.

I ran a test just now, and the BD version of Mob Psycho 100 fills in the directory, properties, and initial names for the titles, but the DVD version only fills in the directory entry and properties; the name isn't copied to the titles. Gone With The Wind, however, fills in all three...

If I change the disk properties, the name is copied to all the titles that have not been manually changed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
abs0d

Post by abs0d »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:36 pm
The DVD behavior already matches the BD behavior - it's just that a lot fewer DVDs use the title metadata.

You can fill in the information, though. Changing names with Expert mode enabled
Hi, the actual behaviour may match the BluRay, but the perceived behaviour from a user perspective does not (am already editing by hand after opening the disk :-)

For a BluRay MakeMKV can infer a name for the directory, and (typically the same) name for the files inside the directory.

For a DVD MakeMKV can infer the name for the directory, but then for all cases where I've used it will show "title" for the files inside the directory. It would seem to be a helpful option to fall back to the directory name as a filename prefix rather than "title". If there is an existing flow for which this would cause issues, then maybe it could be an option?

Thanks