detect fake playlists on DVD?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Ezatoka

detect fake playlists on DVD?

Post by Ezatoka »

Hey everyone,

I know that MakeMKV tries to detect fake playlists on BluRays. But what about on DVDs? More often I have it, especially on series, that MakeMKV lists me like 30GB of tracks on a single disc. Looking at the tracks, various episodes of the series on the disc are grouped together in different or equal "movies".

Example when having opened a disc:

Track 1 and 2 are identical. Same length, same chapters, same tracks. All of the other tracks are identical copies of the same episodes over and over again.
Not only MakeMKV has this problem. DVDShrink also shows me all those movies in the list, and DVDFab Passkey does not find any fake playlists to be removed either.

Of course with some common sense you can select only the tracks you need (in this case only Track 1 and split it by chapters). Though I wonder if there is some way of detecting such things.

Or at least give a warning like "Detected tracks massively exceed the file size of the physical files on the disc, possibly due to fake VTSs. Please check tracks carefully!"
daraclark

Re: detect fake playlists on DVD?

Post by daraclark »

Fake playlist is a common copy protection method. Many Lionsgate DVDs are protected by the scheme. I ripped "Midway" in MakeMKV, also got several fake copies or fake playlist. Don't try VLC approach. VLC cannot deal with playlist obfuscation. Try the following steps.
1. Update to the latest version of MakeMKV.
2. If you are using the beta version, get the latest beta key.
3.Use WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. It ripped my movie Midway successfully.
4. Use Handbrake. There are many free or paid DVD decrypting programs. Just try!
Ezatoka

Re: detect fake playlists on DVD?

Post by Ezatoka »

daraclark wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:51 am
1. Update to the latest version of MakeMKV.
Already running the latest version
daraclark wrote:
2. If you are using the beta version, get the latest beta key.
I own a self-bought key
daraclark wrote:
3.Use WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. It ripped my movie Midway successfully.
MakeMKV also can rip the titles just fine in my case. You just need to select the correct ones.
daraclark wrote:
4. Use Handbrake. There are many free or paid DVD decrypting programs. Just try!
Even in the Handbrake forum they strongly suggest, not to rip DVDs/BluRays with Handbrake but use something like MakeMKV to rip first, then convert the files.