Are You Being Served Volume 4 "missing an episode"

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
PaulReuben

Are You Being Served Volume 4 "missing an episode"

Post by PaulReuben »

Hey Guys! As the title states, I'm trying to rip my "Are you being served" collection. (no jokes please :P ) The whole collection has ripped flawlessly except disc 4 and it rips 5 of the 6 episodes just fine but for some reason I cannot get it to rip all of them. At first I thought, maybe it's just an old disc with some scratches so I tried fixing them and then re-running the conversion but that didn't work. Next I decided to just buy a brand new disc, pulled it straight out of the plastic, inspected the mirror finish on the bottom and started the conversion on it. Low and behold it failed on the same episode with the same error and recommended that I rip it manually but i am not super experienced in manual authoring so I figured id turn to you guys for support. I attempted to rip the single episode by itself and have copied the error and verbose log below, I would love some help. I also scanned through the forum for this question and didn't see much on what I'm asking, so if I'm asking a question that's been asked a billion times before I am sorry and feel free to flame me. :) I've also attached a screen cap showing the episodes and highlighted the one that's giving me grey ball hairs lol.

LOG (I've limited the repetition for readability sake, but its all there in order)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saving 1 titles into directory I:/MKV
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.52' at offset '96256'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '96256'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '96256'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.52' at offset '96256'
Failed to save title 3 to file I:/MKV/title_t03.mkv
Encountered 212 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Attachments
PITA_Episode.PNG
PITA_Episode.PNG (23.73 KiB) Viewed 15759 times
Last edited by PaulReuben on Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preserve

Re: Are You Being Served Volume 4 "missing an episode"

Post by preserve »

Great series. I didn't have any issues with this set but I imported the UK version for the original framerate and higher vertical original PAL resolution. Sorry that's not much help, perhaps someone with this same disc can chime in.

Sometimes when I have an issue with a DVD, I switch to another one of my drives and then it reads flawlessly - do you have another drive you can try?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
PaulReuben

Post by PaulReuben »

Ya! I have tried a few different external drives and a linux machine to see if i could get a different result but this stupid episode just wont rip
preserve

Post by preserve »

Not sure, sorry, hopefully someone else who has this specific disc will help. It's giving you read errors though which suggests an issue with the drives or the disc, so I don't think that manual mode will help in this case, although I haven't used it much myself, and have never had a disc read problem that wasn't solved by either 1) switching drives or 2) replacing the disc.

I'm not familiar with the particular model mentioned in the log, are all your drives external / UHD drives? I use older Blu-ray / DVD-only drives for ripping Blu-rays and DVDs. And re: external drives:
Woodstock wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:09 pm
...power issues, and is somewhat common with USB drives. As the speed increases, the drive runs out of power, and ... goes off-line. Where it will happen can change from rip to rip, but the sequence of error messages will repeat.

If that is the case, making sure the drive has proper power will fix it.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There is a scenario where internal drive like this Pioneer will "simulate" the "USB drive power issue" - Some drives go into "hyper retry" mode when they can almost read a sector. They stop responding to requests from the operating system, which then times out and declares the drive to be off-line.

Eventually, the drive gives up, and starts responding again, but it is too late; the operating system has already signed the death certificate.

This points towards cleaning the disk, most of the time.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
PaulReuben

Post by PaulReuben »

I had that thought too! :) I bought a brand new disc this one is mirror finish. I was using a USB 3.0 LG external drive to rip but thought the same thing about the OS and USB so I decided to buy a SATA internal which is the pioneer. I've tried changing the read times but that didn't seem to help either. Man I'm stuck here lol I'm to the point I might try to do it manually.
PaulReuben

Post by PaulReuben »

ok that makes some sense. i recall having this issue back in the 90's i would drop the read speed to the lowest it could go to prevent errors in copying. is that possible to control with makeMKV?? i dont see an option
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

PaulReuben wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:51 pm
ok that makes some sense. i recall having this issue back in the 90's i would drop the read speed to the lowest it could go to prevent errors in copying. is that possible to control with makeMKV?? i dont see an option
For some drives, v1.15.2 does have the ability to control speed. Pioneer drives, currently, aren't in the list.

I've done speed limiting by using a slow USB2 flash drive as the destination; almost guaranteed to keep the rip speed in check.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
PaulReuben

Post by PaulReuben »

ill give that usb trick a shot thanks! other than that does anyone get anything from the logs?>? or are they just worthless?