Chapter support????

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
umpalumpa

Chapter support????

Post by umpalumpa »

I'm a dumb noob at this, i'll admit...and i DID search the forums with mixed results. I'm trying to burn my DVDs to mkv so i can play them over a hard drive through my samsung blueray players usb port. the disks convert PERFECTLY - GREAT audio and BEAUTIFUL video. The ONLY major problem is that the mkv files don't end up with any chapters like the original disks. Is this JUST THE WAY IT IS? I've done three different disks, Ironman 2, Prince Caspian, and Elf, and they ALL worked perfectly but without any chapters. If the program won't do it, what will...and if it will, what the heck do i need to do!?!? Thank you guys SO much.

EDIT: so the chapters ARE in the MKV file - I just can't skip forward or back on them - or even see them as marked chapters in any player. I'm not streaming wireless, but through USB hard drive to Samsung Blueray player. What good are the chapters if i can't skip between them?
setarip_old

Re: Chapter support????

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

VLC plays such files properly - so there's no problem with the files created by MakeMKV...

umpalumpa

Post by umpalumpa »

I think (through my limited understanding) that its wholly dependent on the player being used. im CLEARLY doing a far less complicated thing than most people, and expecting (foolishly perhaps) to get a lot more out of it! You guys actually did pretty much answer my question though, so thanks! Maybe i can get samsung to support chapters in mkv files! (Yeah, RIGHT!!!)
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

IF you can appreciate that the .MKV container/format was initially developed for software playback on a PC, you can also appreciate the fact that hardware player manufacturers are in the early stages of modifying their products to deal with it properly ;>}

umpalumpa

Post by umpalumpa »

Downloaded VLC - chapters work perfectly. Very true setarip - very true. Woodstock, i think i need to figure out how your system is set up a little more precisely, because that SOUNDS cool to me.