Unable to rip DVDs from a specific distributor

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Afrocomb

Unable to rip DVDs from a specific distributor

Post by Afrocomb »

I've been converting a large DVD library and I've been running into problems with a specific company.

I get this error just trying to open the disc
Using direct disc access mode
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
IFO file for VTS #0 is corrupt, VOB file must be scanned. This may take very long time, please be patient.
Failed to open disc
This has happened with Foxcatcher, The Family & Escape Plan so far, all DVDs released in the UK by Entertainment One AKA E One. I've had little trouble with other DVDs and continue to rip by the dozen.

Is there something specific about the copy protection used by this company that is confusing MakeMKV or am I just being unlucky?
Afrocomb

Re: Unable to rip DVDs from a specific distributor

Post by Afrocomb »

Another three titles from this distributor with the same error!

Anybody out there with a work around?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Give the various DVD opening modes a try: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28541
JD_84

Post by JD_84 »

Just to add to this, I'm experiencing the same issue with this publisher with the "Spooks: The Great Good" Movie too. I've tried in two separate drives, and even bought a second copy of the disc in case the first was faulty, but no luck with this one.
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

Try dumping the disc to an .ISO image file with DVD Decrypter then open the .ISO file in MakeMKV.
JD_84

Post by JD_84 »

I've attempted to dumb the disc using DVD decrypter, I've also tried the suggestions around walk/trim/full, etc. I've tried streaming via VLC and capturing that way. I've no idea what E-One do to the disc, but I've not discovered a way to rip them so far.
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

JD_84 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:08 am
I've attempted to dumb the disc using DVD decrypter, I've also tried the suggestions around walk/trim/full, etc. I've tried streaming via VLC and capturing that way. I've no idea what E-One do to the disc, but I've not discovered a way to rip them so far.
What happens when you try to dump to .ISO file with DVD decrypter - does it freeze at some point of dumping? Or is it failing when opening the .ISO in MakeMKV? If there was a gdrive thingy I could take a look.
JD_84

Post by JD_84 »

It fails to read the sectors of the disc and never gets started to make the ISO. This happens on both copies of the disc.

I 18:31:36 Operation Started!
I 18:31:36 Source Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7740H 1.S0 (D:) (Unknown (0x0B))
I 18:31:36 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 18:31:36 Source Media Region Code: 2
I 18:31:36 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: CSS/CPPM
I 18:31:36 Source Media Implementation Identifier: Sonic Scenarist 3.1
I 18:31:36 Destination File: C:\Users\Jon\Videos\backup\SPOOKS_THE_GREATER_GOOD.ISO
I 18:31:36 File Splitting: Auto
I 18:31:36 Hardware Read Error Retries: 2
I 18:31:36 Remove Structure Protection: Yes
I 18:31:36 Bad Sector Removal Method: Aggressive
I 18:31:36 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 18:31:36 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 18:31:36 Extracting Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 4023935)
W 18:34:37 Failed to read Sector 192 - No Seek Complete

It continues along this vain for sometime...
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

JD_84 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:36 pm
It fails to read the sectors of the disc and never gets started to make the ISO. This happens on both copies of the disc.
Hmm, not good.

I suppose you could try using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to dump it to .vob files instead of .iso

There is also DVD Shrink if you can be bothered trying it in reauthor mode (I doubt it would work if DVD Decrypter didn't).

Out of curiosity I was going to order a used copy off ebay for a few bucks to experiment on but they're all region 4. If I can find a cheap region 2 under $10 locally I'll order it just to see if we can get to the bottom of this.
Last edited by pneumatic on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

Alright found a local copy of Foxcatcher region 2 for 8 bux, should be here in a week. I'll be trying it on 4 drives of different brands and form factors.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

It also could be RipGuard or ARccOS where there are intentional bad sectors on the disc itself.
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

Finally got the disc - Foxcatcher region 2 by Entertainment One.

Same error on all my drives with MakeMKV, DVD Decrypter (in ISO read mode) and DVD Shrink.

The disc visibly has some kind of copy protection rings stamped into it:

I'm guessing once the laser hits those rings it triggers read errors and interrupts the whole disc from being dumped? Perhaps the .ifo files tell it to read the .vob files at locations which are stored between the rings? The file system is also full of many dummy titles and .vobs totalling 99 chapters and 200GB:

I changed my DVD drive's region to 2 and opened the disc in MPC-HC and it plays fine. Considering MPC-HC does not have any magical copy protection bypassing code that I know of (in fact it won't even let me play an out of region disc) I would say MakeMKV could perhaps be improved in terms of "a virtual monkey sits before a virtual player, selects every menu, presses every button, watches everything, and records every title that was played".

I can see in MPC-HC's info panel the main movie is Title 45 Chapter 1-21. There doesn't seem to be a way to force MakeMKV to look only at that section with manual mode string "45:1-21" because first we must perform "open disc" and that's where MakeMKV is failing. If we could get past the initial "open disc" function then I think we could progress further maybe.

DVD Decrypter is able to workaround it by ripping a specific Title into a .vob file using its "IFO" mode. I have set it to not split into multiple vobs and got a big 6GB .vob file which contains the video, audio tracks and subtitle track. I then remuxed the .vob to .mkv with this ffmpeg command line:

Code: Select all

"C:\program files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -fflags +genpts -i "C:\FOXCATCHER\VIDEO_TS\VTS_45_1.vob" -map 0:v -map 0:a -c copy "C:\FOXCATCHER\output.mkv"

// -fflags +genpts means force it to ignore lack of timestamps in the vob and generate its own - without this it would not work
FFmpeg doesn't support remuxing subtitles from .vob to .mkv so you lose the subs. Also tried MKVToolnix and that could achieve the same result of converting the .vob to .mkv, but again no subtitles. All audio tracks were intact though.

So I would say this is a good test case for MakeMKV devs to have a go at teaching the virtual monkey some new tricks :lol:

They'll need a copy of the physical disc though.
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

I was able to get the subtitles into the file by using VSRip to extract 2 subtitle files (.sub and .idx) from the .vob, then remux them into a mkv using mkvtoolnix (couldn't get it working with ffmpeg)

So the whole process is:

1. Open the DVD in a media player like MPC-HC to find out the Title to extract
2. Extract that title with DVD Decrypter in IFO mode (resulting in a single large .vob file - check settings IFO tab to ensure file splitting is disabled*)
3. Extract the subtitles from the .vob using another tool like VSRip (gives you a .sub and a .idx file)
4. In mkvtoolnix: input tab -> source files -> right click, add the .vob file and the .idx file, and "start multiplexing"

* actually it seems mkvtoolnix supports joining multiple smaller .vobs too - if I open just the first .vob it automatically adds the rest
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

[deleted - irrelevant information about subtitles]
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

I am able to rip the disc in MakeMKV using older version 1.16.7 (hosted at videohelp.com).
As there are other reports of this happening with other discs I'll make a new thread for that topic.