Titles not available for extraction but identified in scan

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
yonder

Titles not available for extraction but identified in scan

Post by yonder »

Hello,
I am trying to extract the fourth title on a DVD containing four episodes.
Here is the scan status returned:
MakeMKV v1.17.6 win(x64-release) démarré
Utilisation du mode d'accès direct au disque
Le titre #1 a été ajouté (8 cellule(s), 0:42:02)
Le titre #2 a une longueur déclarée de 0:42:00 alors que sa vraie longueur est de 0:26:08 - ce doit être un faux titre
Le titre #3 a été ajouté (8 cellule(s), 0:42:00)
Le titre #4 a une longueur déclarée de 0:42:02 alors que sa vraie longueur est de 0:24:55 - ce doit être un faux titre
Opération parfaitement achevée

As you can see, titles #3 and #4 return a false length, 0:26:08 instead of 0:42:00 for #3, and 0:24:55 instead of 0:42:00. I suppose this is a technical trick that allows four episodes to be stored on the limited storage space of a DVD.

https://yinyang.freeboxos.fr:24461/shar ... pture2.JPG

I only have two titles available for extraction: title#1 and title#3, those with reliable length info. Titles #2 and #4 and not listed in the titles I can extract.
Is anyone able to tell me if there is a solution to gain access to title #4?

Thank you.
yonder

Re: Titles not available for extraction but identified in scan

Post by yonder »

Hi there,
I have solved the issue I came across.
The DVD in question is old. It was covered with a thin grimy thread, running around the edge of the disc. I had to use liquid soap to try and remove it, without scratching the surface. Even after the soap, this thin thread was still somewhat visible. I used my bare thumb to rub the areas very gently.
After all this gentle cleaning, I tried with another less efficient ripping software, and I managed to rip the track off the aging disc. So I figured, I might as well give it another go with MakeMKV; and it finally did the job!