Errors with ripped DVD's

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
pmiller056

Errors with ripped DVD's

Post by pmiller056 »

Hi

I have ripped a number of DVDs that I own with Makemkv using the default settings. The .mkv files are then transferred to a private filestore. The .mkv files will play correctly with VLC on a PC, but will not play (as streaming media) at all on a Raspberry Pi based version of XBMC or a Nintendo Wii running WiiMC. The mkvalidator program from the Matroska Foundation suggests that there are a number of errors in the .mkv files produced by Makemkv. Running the Mkclean program (from the Matroska Foundation) on the faulty .mkv files results in files that are playable on all my devices I am trying to use.

I'm not sure if this is a fault in Makemkv or if something else is going on, but the problem has been repeatable with a number of DVD's and the only common link is Makemkv.

Regards

Peter
mike admin

Re: Errors with ripped DVD's

Post by mike admin »

Please post details - what kind of messages are you getting from MKV validator? Are your MKV files made by a recent versions of MakeMKV?
pmiller056

Post by pmiller056 »

Hi

I'm using Makemkv ver 1.7.9 on a Windows 7, 32 Bit system.

The Mkvalidator program (ver 0.4.2 in use) is a command line program and I can't easily get a useful screenshot of what it produces, so I'll re-type what it says.

I have set up Makemkv so that it produces one Video and one Audio track only.

With DVD 1, I get around 50 error messages
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 233865334 is not a keyframe
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 242478634 is not a keyframe
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 390823250 is not a keyframe
and so on to
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 5563436460 is not a keyframe
otherwise the file is valid.

With DVD 2, I get 25 error messages
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 659090900 is not a keyframe
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 660666587 is not a keyframe
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 833978184 is not a keyframe
and so on to
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 4457326968 is not a keyframe
otherwise the file is valid.

Other DVDs produce similar reproducible results.

The number of errors does not appear to correlate to the number of chapters on the DVD but it may correlate to a different internal structure of the DVD (cells?) - I don't know enough about how DVD filesystems work to tell.

When I run Mkclean on the output file from Makemkv to generate another file which works correctly for me, the only message I get is 'Optimizing.. Regenerating Cues from Scratch'. This is sufficient change for both streaming players to operate correctly. I don't know what it is doing, but it works.

Other than this, Makemkv works very well for me.
Thank you to the Development team.

Regards

Peter
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

pmiller056 wrote:The Mkvalidator program (ver 0.4.2 in use) is a command line program and I can't easily get a useful screenshot of what it produces, so I'll re-type what it says.
You know copy/paste can work in a terminal too, right? :P
pmiller056 wrote:With DVD 1, I get around 50 error messages
WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 233865334 is not a keyframe
As the "WRN" prefix indicates, this is a warning, not an error. The difference being that:

- warning: something in the file is not optimal, but the MKV file is perfectly valid
- error: something in the file is wrong, the MKV file is not valid

mkvmerge (probably the most widely used MKV multiplexer) often triggers a lot of mkvalidator warnings too.
pmiller056

Post by pmiller056 »

Hi

I tried to copy and paste the output of Mkvalidator but it was not working for me. I didn't have the time or inclination to work out what was going on at the time. Redirecting the output to a file failed as well. The joys of a computer. :-)

I am a new user of Makemkv and the subtlties of using mkv files. I'm even less familiar with Mkvalidator and the foibles of its messages. From your comment, it would now appear that there are some streaming media players in use that are not tolerant of non-optimally produced mkv files.

Cheers

Peter
Tolken

Post by Tolken »

Just as an FYI.

Everything I've ripped on 1.7.8/.9/.10 plays fine on WiiMC 1.3.x

There is certainly a possibility there is another issue at play than makemkv.

What "exactly" happens for you on WiiMC. (does it crash wiimc to main menu, stutter, give an error?)

Also what happens on RaspPi? I have one available but not setup atm.

A few sidenotes: I stream everything over network wirelessly, I do NOT use the built in Wii wifi, but instead the ethernet port run to an external wifi N adapter.
pmiller056

Post by pmiller056 »

Hi

Thank you for your note. I find that wireless networking streaming video to the Wii with the built in Wifi is not reliable, despite good signal strength. I use wired networking with the Wii with an external USB ethernet adapter. I'm using WiiMC ver 1.3.0.

I'll go and try again with the Wii and pay more attention to what's going on. It may be a few days because life is busy at the moment.

With the RasPi, I'm using the RaspbMC distribution. If I click on a 'faulty' .MKV file, the Raspi pauses for about a second and then carries on as if nothing happened. Other video files (including fixed .mkv's) will cause the Rpi to stall for a couple of seconds, put up the 'working' information box for a few seconds (as it buffers) then starts to play as expected. I would expect the Openelec distribution for the Rpi to have similar behaviour, given that they both have the same Xbmc origins. I'm using the Rpi with wired networking. Both these distributions for the Rpi are updating regularly at present - mostly minor 'niggle' fixes.

Regards

Peter
Knocks

Post by Knocks »

I was having the same issue running XBMC on Wii (aka WiiMC) and did not think to check this forum first. You are right about Wii's WiFi signal though. I had a discussion with some folks on Nintendo Forums about this, and one thing that definitely helped was enabling compatibility mode on the router. The Wii, as it turns out does not support 802.11n, and that causes all sorts of problems when streaming files, including MKV.