DVD's not saving?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
sandking

DVD's not saving?

Post by sandking »

Good morning all. I'm a newbie to ripping my DVD's so please be patient. I've been trying to rip my kids movies to us on my plex media server because I'm tired of them getting scratched.

With several of them, the DVD gets analyized and I choose the titles I want to save a .mkv. It then begins but will get hung up and just keep spinning but not saving or reading. I've let them go for an hour or so before stopping and they are like ready to melt.

What am I doing wrong? The movies are Disney's Cars and Cars 2 as well as Enchanted. Is this an issue with my DVD player on my laptop not being able to read them? They play fine on my DVD players.
Woodstock

Re: DVD's not saving?

Post by Woodstock »

Disney titles have a tendency to have many tracks that are "fake", so it is hard to get the right one. And I've ripped two of the three DVD titles you mention, so I know they are understood by MakeMKV.

However, doing nothing for an hour is not normal, so please follow the guidelines in the FAQ in my signature, to get some additional information on what is happening.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mgottnoob

Post by mgottnoob »

I know this thread is old but, I wanted to stay on subject. I am very new and cannot seem to find an answer where Di$ney movies are concerned. I own all my dvd's and want to stream from Plex because my kids never put them away. Ok, rant done - here is the problem.

I am currently working on Cars (I have also had difficulty with Force awakens, nemo, etc). Makemkv will scan titles and show me the title and chapters. When I go to save it will convert everthing but title 23 which has 32 chapers (which I assume is the main movie?) - it will try for a moment and then give me an error for each chapter. Makemkv will convert a title called "title00.mkv" which is the last 4 min of the movie with no credits.

Can anyone teach me how to do this. I have a very small amount of coding experience (as in I know what it is and have used a windows command line). I am a fast learner but, will have basic questions until I get the theory down. I have alot of Di$ney movies that my kids watch constantly, your help would be much appreciated. Thank you. :?

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.10.5 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #10 does not match one in IFO header.
Title #6 has length of 4 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 4-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #14 was added (3 cell(s), 0:04:16)
Title #16 has length of 53 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #17 has length of 53 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #18 has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #19 has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #20 has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #21 has length of 52 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #22 has length of 52 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 2-2 were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Cells 4-3 were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Cells 39-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #23 was added (34 cell(s), 1:56:09)
Title #26 has length of 95 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #27 has length of 95 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #29 has length of 35 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #35 has length of 95 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #36 has length of 35 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 9-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #37 was added (8 cell(s), 0:15:59)
Cells 4-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #38 was added (3 cell(s), 0:07:07)
Title #39 has length of 108 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #40 has length of 108 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #41 has length of 108 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 3-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #42 was added (2 cell(s), 0:04:31)
Title #44/2 has length of 41 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #44/3 has length of 15 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #46 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #48/2 has length of 50 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #50 has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #51 was added (2 cell(s), 0:03:50)
Title #52 has length of 104 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #53 was added (2 cell(s), 0:03:14)
Title #54 has length of 103 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 9-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #55 was added (8 cell(s), 0:10:29)
Title #56 has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #59 has length of 46 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Can't locate a cell for VTS 10 TTN 3 PGCN 3 PGN 2
Operation successfully completed
Saving 8 titles into directory K:/Movies to Upload
Failed to save title 0 to file K:/Movies to Upload/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 8 failed
Saving 1 titles into directory K:/Movies to Upload
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '32768'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '32768'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:READ RETRIES EXHAUSTED' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB' at offset '32768'
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (112)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB' at offset '32768'
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (112)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB' at offset '0'
Failed to save title 1 to file K:/Movies to Upload/title01.mkv
Encountered 1 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

back in '14 when I posted my message, I had less experience with Disney disks, but, generally speaking, there are 2 or 3 copies of the movie present, identical except for the titles and credits, which will be in English, Spanish, and French. On Bluray, the "800" file is the English version.

Device status errors, such as your log indicates, are sometimes disk related, but usually the operating system having trouble talking to the drive. Have you recently done a complete reset (as in power off) of the machine, to make sure the hardware isn't in an uncertain state?
mgottnoob

Post by mgottnoob »

I will try cleaning the disc. I just installed a new blu-ray drive after this post so I will check that too. As far as the disc goes it is a DVD (bought before I could afford blu-ray) and on this particular disc there is only one large file at title 23 (found on vlc and winx DVD ripper) - but when played after convention by handbrake/winxdvd is only half the movie. Any suggestions?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If VLC can only play half the movie, there is likely a flaw in the disk, or a fingerprint. VLC will skip over minor errors (one or two sectors) when reading directly from the disk (it doesn't need any conversion to play DVDs). And handbrake will stop converting when it receives a bad sector error.