Having a tough time with 1.8.9

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
BrettStolz

Having a tough time with 1.8.9

Post by BrettStolz »

With 1.8.9, I wasn't able to rip training videos at my work, that I've had no problems with before. I come home to download the latest version of MakeMKV, and I can't make a copy of Wreck-It Ralph, before my kids destroy the DVD. Maybe my problems at home are the physical disk, but that's why I liked MakeMKV, because I could take those troubled discs and make great digital copies.

Here's what I had for an error tonight:

MakeMKV v1.8.9 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:ID CRC OR ECC ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_09_1.VOB' at offset '12288'
Complex multiplex encountered - 38 cells and 5345 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #1 (1:41:08) was skipped due to navigation error
Complex multiplex encountered - 2 cells and 211 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #2 (0:06:34) was skipped due to navigation error
Title #4 was added (7 cell(s), 0:04:49)
Title #5 was added (5 cell(s), 0:04:21)
Title #6 has length of 63 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #10 has length of 18 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #11 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #12 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 2 titles into directory C:/Video/WRECK_IT_RALPH
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:ID CRC OR ECC ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB' at offset '3483648'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:ID CRC OR ECC ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB' at offset '3483648'
Failed to save title 1 to file C:/Video/WRECK_IT_RALPH/title01.mkv
1 titles saved, 1 failedBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.

Any thoughts?
Woodstock

Re: Having a tough time with 1.8.9

Post by Woodstock »

Most of the errors are probably tied to the ones like this:
Parts of the disk are not readable by your drive. MakeMKV tries to work around them, but can't.

First thing to try is cleaning. My preference is to clean with something like Pledge furniture polish, which also waxes the disk. The wax can fill in small scratches that are hard to see, but found by lasers looking for tiny dots on the other side of them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging