How do you get this "easy" software to work?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
howdy

How do you get this "easy" software to work?

Post by howdy »

I install the software, go to open a file from the blu-ray reader, and it won't let me choose that drive as a source.

I go to open a file, I select blu-ray files for "type of file", and it won't show me the file. I go to any other choice, and it won't show me the file.

I love software that doesn't work, and I think we need more of that.

Supposing I wanted this software to actually do something, like.....converting a blu-ray file. How would I get it to do that?

Windows 11, original disc is BDMV file that I can't get my blu-ray player (not the blu-ray READER on my computer) to play.
Woodstock

Re: How do you get this "easy" software to work?

Post by Woodstock »

OK, so you are having an issue with a BD-reading program unable to read your non-BD source, and you are complaining that it doesn't operate the way it was intended? It's intended to open a disk in a drive, but CAN open a disk IMAGE, if you point it at the right place... assuming the image is properly formatted.

If you are opening a non-BD source, you have to navigate to the files that make it "Bluray-like". Did you point it at index.bdmv, or somewhere else?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
howdy

Post by howdy »

How is my source a non BD source, if it's a blu-ray disk, that would play in my old Samsung blu-ray player, that is currently in my blu-ray disk drive of my computer?

That all said, after starting my computer and reading your reply today, I re-opened the software and today it DID recognize the disk in the drive. I selected that and rather than having the "output folder" be the same as the disk since the disc is not re-writeable, I made a new folder on my desktop and will ultimately burn a new disk from that to see if this worked or not.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

There are two main paths through the software. The most common is the path you're on. Put an optical disc in a drive, wait for the OS to recognize the disc, then MakeMKV reads it. Click the big icon of an optical disc in MakeMKV and create .mkv files from the disc.

The other path is creating something called a backup. Once MakeMKV recognizes a disc in the drive, at the top click the icon of a green arrow pointing into a yellow folder. Make sure the decrypted box is checked and the location for the output is correct. MakeMKV will copy the entire contents of the disc (minus the encryption) to a folder on your storage. MakeMKV can then open that backup by using the 'open files' command on the file menu and .mkv files can be created from the backup. Or other programs can read and use the backup directly.

Changing names with Expert mode enabled
howdy

Post by howdy »

Mkv finally found the file on the blu-ray reader, but only after the computer was shut down and restarted.

I checked the box for it to make a file to the desktop and hit the button. It made the file and that is apparently readable by my VLC software but I don't want to watch this on my computer.

I tried to burn a blu-ray disc but it came up with an error message of some kind. I regret that I didn't take a photo of the message to write it here and that was a few hours ago but after an hour or so of "burning" the disc, it said it can't do it for some reason.