Nightmare Before Christmas 3D / Batman Returns Blurays

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
efernandezjr

Nightmare Before Christmas 3D / Batman Returns Blurays

Post by efernandezjr »

Hello all! long-time lurker, first-time poster, here!

I'm writing because although MakeMKV has worked PERFECTLY for me, in the most part, there are two blurays it seems to be having trouble with. For the record, Aurora BluRay Copy and AnyDVD are also giving me trouble with these same two movies. The rest of my collection: Blurays (both 2d and 3d) and DVDs have MKV'd just fine. I basically keep getting errors like this:

makemkv scsi error uncorrectable error

As well as other, similar, messages. The discs seem to be in good shape. They're in good shape and play just fine in a bluray player. Any ideas? Could this be the dreaded AACS protection causing me all this hardship?
Woodstock

Re: Nightmare Before Christmas 3D / Batman Returns Blurays

Post by Woodstock »

Uncorrectable error reports are coming from the drive and the operating system. Your drive can't read parts of those disks. Sometimes it is just dirt and fingerprints, sometimes it's other damage.

This is why I keep Pledge wax and a soft cotton cloth handy - it cleans the fingerprints the relatives leave on the disks, and smooths over a lot of the minor scratches they put on while "very carefully" handling my DVDs and BDs.

There are many ways to make an optical disk unreadable.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
efernandezjr

Re: Nightmare Before Christmas 3D / Batman Returns Blurays

Post by efernandezjr »

Woodstock wrote:Uncorrectable error reports are coming from the drive and the operating system. Your drive can't read parts of those disks. Sometimes it is just dirt and fingerprints, sometimes it's other damage.

This is why I keep Pledge wax and a soft cotton cloth handy - it cleans the fingerprints the relatives leave on the disks, and smooths over a lot of the minor scratches they put on while "very carefully" handling my DVDs and BDs.

There are many ways to make an optical disk unreadable.

Thank you so much for your suggestion, Woodstock. After giving your method a try, my Nightmare 3D bluray still did not work. So I went ahead and picked up another one at Best Buy and lo and behold, it worked. The original disc did not have any physical damage so I'm guessing it was some issue with the way it was encoded. Go figure. Now I know for future reference that it's probably just a bad disc if it does this. Literally everything else I've put into my bluray drive rips fine.