Che Part Two uncorrectable errors

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
tribble

Che Part Two uncorrectable errors

Post by tribble »

MakeMKV 1.9.9; Che Part One & Che Part 2 double Blu-Ray, Region B.

Received the following error messages when attempting to rip Che Part Two:

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00003.m2ts' at offset '255787008'
Error 'Posix error - Input/Output error' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk9' at offset '255787008'
[line repeats]
[line repeats]
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00003.m2ts' at offset '255983616'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00003.m2ts' at offset '256309248'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00003.m2ts' at offset '257753088'
I came back to check progress after 30 or so minutes and found the progress bar barely 1/25th of the way along.

Is this a case of deliberate mastering errors or should I return this Blu-Ray for a refund?
Woodstock

Re: Che Part Two uncorrectable errors

Post by Woodstock »

More likely a case of something on the media that can't always be read through. It manages to see through it well enough after several retries, which is why the location keeps moving forward. Just because a disk is fresh from the package doesn't mean it's particularly clean. :roll:

The I/O error, if it repeats, is a bit strange in this case. Sometimes you will see that with external drives that have power issues; the read speed reaches a point where the drive can't quite sustain the rotational speed AND operate properly, and you get a bunch of errors as it resets and slows down.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tribble

Re: Che Part Two uncorrectable errors

Post by tribble »

Hi,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I was going to return the Blu-Ray the next day, but following your advice I cleaned the disc thoroughly and used a different USB port for the external BR drive, and the disc ripped successfully.

Thank you! :D