If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
araftis

Re: If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here firs

Post by araftis »

I recently hit a couple of discs where I was having read errors. I tried a number of methods to create an ISO, and what finally worked was a small GNU utility called ddrescue. It's a small sample, but so far I'm 2 for 2 on creating an ISO which I was then able to use in MakeMKV.

I'm not sure about Windows or Linux, but on my Mac, I used Mac Ports to install.
Lovely Rita

Re: If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here firs

Post by Lovely Rita »

Proper disc cleaning:

Center to edge, never circular.

How to clean CD/DVD/Blu-ray disks
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
PianoManTN

Re: If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Post by PianoManTN »

Sony BD-R Real Genius gives

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '61440'
grundy1133

Post by grundy1133 »

I kept getting "Failed to rip" or something along those lines and i looked around and downgraded to 1.12.2 and it ripped the movie in question with no problem.
Mondays

Post by Mondays »

Looking at my Amazon order history, my internal DVD/BD drives last about 1.5 years. This last one I just purchased I spent ~$3 for a 4 year squaretrade warranty that I am sure I will make use of.

I used to monkey around wasting time trying to fix and testing different DVDs but now when I start getting the read errors with MakeMKV I order and replace drive. Problem solved. Fortunately they are not that expensive.

Not sure why my drives fail so fast. I maybe burn 25 -30 movies a year. I suppose ripping a movie is labor intensive on a drive, more so than just watching a movie or installing a program ?

Anyone else have issues with DVD drives failing in less than two years?
Pokerguy

Post by Pokerguy »

So I'm getting the Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L -EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00084.m2ts' at offset '3723294720'

I just purchased the key and upgraded from 1.12 to 1.14.2
I hadn't had any errors until I upgraded to 1.14.2
It only occurs on BR
I've done all the above by blowing out my external drive, wiped the DVD and nothing, it doesnt happen to every BR, 2/5 lion king and the Lego movie
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The operating system told MakeMKV that the drive cannot read part of the disk. It doesn't matter which version of MakeMKV you're running, it cannot work around bad sectors.

There have been some version-dependent errors, usually reported as debug codes. But "EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" is coming from the drive, not MakeMKV.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Mondays wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:54 pm
Looking at my Amazon order history, my internal DVD/BD drives last about 1.5 years. This last one I just purchased I spent ~$3 for a 4 year squaretrade warranty that I am sure I will make use of.

I used to monkey around wasting time trying to fix and testing different DVDs but now when I start getting the read errors with MakeMKV I order and replace drive. Problem solved. Fortunately they are not that expensive.

Not sure why my drives fail so fast. I maybe burn 25 -30 movies a year. I suppose ripping a movie is labor intensive on a drive, more so than just watching a movie or installing a program ?

Anyone else have issues with DVD drives failing in less than two years?

20-35 rips and it goes bad? What the heck model of drives are you ordering?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I find its usually either because i have a bad disc or i havent cleaned my disc well that usually is the culprit around my disks not reading.very rarely is it something with my drive.
Pokerguy

Post by Pokerguy »

So it's currently allowing me to take standard DVDs, only troubles have been with BR DVDs, I've had standard DVDs have a large amount of scratches and it reads it, but I would have a BR that has no scratches and it gives me this message
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are "DVD", "HD-DVD", "Blu-ray" or "BD", and "UHD" disk types. Let's try to keep the confusion level down by not adding types that aren't there. ;)

Scratches aren't necessary - just something that interferes with the laser's ability to "see" the little holes in the surface. It can be fingerprints, the chemical haze mentioned before, or a laser that has lost its ability to change focus between data layers (any BD with more than 25GB on it has multiple layers, and DVDs with more than 4.7GB are dual layer).

Contamination is the easiest to deal with; laser focus is a "replace me" problem.

To discount the laser focus, does the error occur at about the same place on the disk, each time you run the rip?

Oh, and this one got me for a while - one of my old drives got flakey if I allowed it to get too warm - it would rip flawlessly for a dozen or so disks, then start failing, until I let it rest for a while (cool down).
Pokerguy

Post by Pokerguy »

Yeah it would stop about roughly the same place on the BR disc, but it seemed like it did that on all the BR discs that came up with an error
jjk43

Post by jjk43 »

Greetings and Happy Holidays,
I am trying to rip the bluray Steven Wilson Home Invasion. Getting errors as in the screenshot folder below.
I am able to successfully rip shorter titles on the disc, i.e. individual song tracks and a documentary interview. However the main chapter which is a 2+ hour concert performance seems to stall at the same point, repeatedly.
I am using an older LG external bluray drive which is USB powered-only. Is the nature of the drive most likely the problem?
Thanks very much for your assistance.
Steven Wilson Home Invasion error log
Steven Wilson Home Invasion error log
Screenshot 2018-12-22 16.22.52.png (129.09 KiB) Viewed 42249 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The actual LOG generated when you have debug logging turned on (FAQ in my signature) gives a better idea of what the actual errors are, but what is posted could be a simple dirty disk. A USB power issue will start out with a corruption report after the drive reaches a high speed, then the device goes off-line for a while.
ripn_n_tearn

Post by ripn_n_tearn »

Is it possible that companies could/do use intentional data errors to prevent ripping instead of any type of protection? Seems that building a .mkv should be able to skip/ignore a damaged segment/file in the same way a player can. Is there any settings that would allow such exceptions to avoid these issues? I know you can increase the retry count but if the issue actually exists you would need to adjust the software to allow small errors to avoid full failures.