Correct playlists for Iron Giant Blu-ray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
CyborgAbeLincoln

Correct playlists for Iron Giant Blu-ray

Post by CyborgAbeLincoln »

This disc has not been obfuscated for copy protection but the correct playlist is not immediately obvious.

There are 2 slightly different versions of the movie on this disc, the original version and the Signature Edition. The signature edition is slightly longer (1:29:58 vs 1:26:39) and at least one slightly altered scene (when the giant's hand is watching TV, it's watching a commercial for Tomorrowland, so apparently this was changed to put this in the same universe as the other Brad Bird film?).

There are multiple playlists with the same segment map, but different options for audio/subs. I'm operating under the assumption that these are for commentaries or whatever. The playlists with full foreign language audio/subs are 00100.mpls for the original version and 00099.mpls for the Signature Edition and that's what I'm currently ripping.
Stryker412

Re: Correct playlists for Iron Giant Blu-ray

Post by Stryker412 »

I just got my copy from Amazon today. Wanted to put on my Plex server for my son. Let me know if you are able to grab the right playlist.
Stryker412

Post by Stryker412 »

I ripped the regular edition. Are there subtitles? I don't remember, it's been a long time since I saw the movie. I skimmed what I had and it looks right.
shepx13

Post by shepx13 »

CyborgAbeLincoln wrote:This disc has not been obfuscated for copy protection but the correct playlist is not immediately obvious.

There are 2 slightly different versions of the movie on this disc, the original version and the Signature Edition. The signature edition is slightly longer (1:29:58 vs 1:26:39) and at least one slightly altered scene (when the giant's hand is watching TV, it's watching a commercial for Tomorrowland, so apparently this was changed to put this in the same universe as the other Brad Bird film?).

There are multiple playlists with the same segment map, but different options for audio/subs. I'm operating under the assumption that these are for commentaries or whatever. The playlists with full foreign language audio/subs are 00100.mpls for the original version and 00099.mpls for the Signature Edition and that's what I'm currently ripping.
Which language did you end up using? I'm struggling to find one with English.
ShoutingMan

Post by ShoutingMan »

What's going on with the commentary tracks? They seem to not be secondary audio tracks. But are different playlists that require ripping a complete whole 25GB movie.

If this is so, is there a way to manipulate the files to make the commentary tracks secondary audio tracks embedded in the main movie?
threeeyedtoad

Post by threeeyedtoad »

I just got my copy of the Iron Giant Signature Edition today... sure enough, the commentary tracks are completely separate from the "regular" movies.

The good news is after you've ripped the Theatrical and "Signature" Editions of the films, and their corresponding commentary track playlists, you can use MKVToolNix to extract the commentary tracks, and then remux them into the MKVs without the commentaries. Pretty straightforward with this tool.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/
meket

Post by meket »

Assuming 99 is the signature and 100 is the original from this thread, then going by track length and audio streams:

99 signature + 102 japanese signature + 500 commentary, all three with a length of 1:29:58
100 original + 101 japanese signature + 501 commentary, all three with a length of 1:26:39

are the files one needs to rip and combine with makemkv as one wishes.