Batman v Superman

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
tor.dahl@hotmail.com

Batman v Superman

Post by tor.dahl@hotmail.com »

Hi,
I have just started using makeMKV (v1.10.2) to backup my blu-ray disc and it looks very promising.
I have a problem with 1 film though. The log says everthing is ok when I backup.
When I try to see the film (in J.River MC v19) by starting the index.bdmv file the film is started but freezes on 1st. frame.
I can jump to next chapter but only to see the first frame of that chapter.
I can play the different m2ts files ok. This only happens with 'Batman v Superman: DoJ', so far. Other films works fine.
Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?
Woodstock

Re: Batman v Superman

Post by Woodstock »

What are you trying to play it with? It may be that your player is incompatible with one or more of the codecs (either video or audio) in the movie.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

"When I try to see the film (in J.River MC v19) by starting the index.bdmv file"

"I can play the different m2ts files ok"

JRiver supports .mkv playback but from what you wrote, I'm not sure you're playing back an .mkv file. Did you create a .mkv file or did you do a "backup" of the disc (File/Backup)?
tor.dahl@hotmail.com

Thanks for feedback. I have tried both backup and .mkv file. They both freeze when I try to play them in J.River MC. It works if I play the m2ts files directly. I created the mkv file from Title 1, 00100.mpls and it says Duratio. 2:31:40 in makeMKV, which matches both the largest m2ts file and the info when playing the index.bdmv file in J.River MC. According to hdencode.com the film should be 3h2min long using playlist 00100.mpls. What am I doing wrong?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are two major versions of the movie, according to Wikipedia; A 2:32 "theatrical" cut, and a 3:03 "ultimate" cut.

If MakeMKV is only seeing the 2:32 play list, I'd suggest following the FAQ listed in my signature to send the requested files to Mike to see why. He might ask for additional information.
tor.dahl@hotmail.com

Thanks, I will do that.
But does anyone have any idea why the 'theatrical cut' freezes and wont play?
I also used handbrake on this film and that worked ok.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Woodstock wrote:There are two major versions of the movie, according to Wikipedia; A 2:32 "theatrical" cut, and a 3:03 "ultimate" cut.

If MakeMKV is only seeing the 2:32 play list, I'd suggest following the FAQ listed in my signature to send the requested files to Mike to see why. He might ask for additional information.
The US retail version has each version of the film on its own disc; they are not on one disc utilising seamless branching. If the OP's copy is similar, then, naturally, both playlists would not appear on the same disc.

Armchair quarterbacking but it is sounding like the created .mkv file has problems. Did MakeMKV report errors during the creation of the Theatrical version coppy? Have you tried creating another .mkv?
tor.dahl@hotmail.com

I have figured it out now. The disc cover includes a 4k ultra hd and a blu-ray disc. It says on the disc cover that the 4k disc is ultimate edition while the bluray disc has the Theatrical version. So that explains the length question.
The freeze issue was solved by changing the audio from TrueHD 7.1 to DD 5.1, as I'm using bitstreaming to an old receiver that does not support TrueHD. So the mkv files and backup are fine!
Thanks again for input on this. Looks like makeMkv supports my needs plenty.
aragond

Re: Batman v Superman Ultimate edition

Post by aragond »

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I am also having something similar... and also not, and I'm hoping folks can explain it.

I put the ultimate edition in the old blu-ray player and MakeMKV clicks the drive a lot and says, "Nope, no disk there".

Is there something special about the "4K Ultimate Edition" that makes it not a blu-ray disk?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

UltraHD is not BD. It is a format that some BD drives can read, but only if they have firmware released within the last 12 months AND could read BD-XL (I think that's what it was) as well.

Even then, MakeMKV can't read UHD yet, because no one has cracked the AACS 2.0 encryption used on 4K content, to my knowledge.
aragond

Post by aragond »

Woodstock wrote:UltraHD is not BD. It is a format that some BD drives can read, but only if they have firmware released within the last 12 months AND could read BD-XL (I think that's what it was) as well.

Even then, MakeMKV can't read UHD yet, because no one has cracked the AACS 2.0 encryption used on 4K content, to my knowledge.
Okay then. No more buying UHD disks. Thanks.