HOW TO: Determine the correct mpls

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
DingusKahn

HOW TO: Determine the correct mpls

Post by DingusKahn »

The BluRay player programs know which sequence to use. No messing around with title sequences, we are going to let the program do the work for us. Use ProcessMonitor (link below) with a filter for mpls processes when playing the BluRay with Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra (whatever version plays them). The correct number will be the one that comes up when the movie actually starts. 00100.mpls or something to that end. Cross-check with MakeMKV and you're golden.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... nitor.aspx

In the filter you should have the following drop-down menus selected:
Path
contains
Include

the value will be mpls

The other entries can be removed without issue.

NOTE: If ProcessMonitor doesn't log properly then experiment with when you start the capture. Usually you will want it capturing (under "File") before you play the movie from the top menu. If you use a different player than Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra it may not work (not tested).
spas2k

Re: HOW TO: Determine the correct mpls

Post by spas2k »

Trying this with "Nerve" and when I hit play movie it lists all the mlps in process monitor almost like it's going through them one by one. Is the "good" one the last one or is there something else I should be looking for?
bhampster

Post by bhampster »

I also tried to use this for Nerve.

I installed an old version of PowerDVD 10 that I had license for.

It said it needed an update to play the disc... and after the update it said it still needed an update to play the disc.

I guess PowerDVD10 is WAY TOO OLD... I tried to find another player that was free... PotPlayer didn't work at all, said codec was missing ... offered to download and install the codec ... that didn't help though. :shock:
DingusKahn

Post by DingusKahn »

Response to bhampster:
PowerDVD 15 Ultra works. Apologies for not specifying the 15 in my post.

Response to spas2k:
The mpls number you should use will be the most current one while the movie is actually playing. This should be the last one chronologically.
ketch

Post by ketch »

As best I have been able to gather from PowerDVD the mpls for the Netflix version of NERVE is 00887.mpls which should have a segment map of 515,512,513,503,510,514,518,504,508,519,516,505,511,520,517,501,502,507. Using process monitor to watch mpls requests didn't seem to provide the correct mpls so I instead watched requests for m2ts files while the movie was playing and just noted down the segment numbers as it played them.
DingusKahn

Post by DingusKahn »

ketch, not sure what's happening there...PowerDVD has to use the correct one or that would be pointless...Why would the company sell DVD's that play the movie incorrectly?

If you find out what's going on there let us know. Maybe someone could check the actual playback?

Last bumped by DingusKahn on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 pm.